7mm Rem Mag Brass

I have gone through 2 barrels on my 7RM and used only Winchester brass. I buy 300-400 and weight sort after processing. Try to buy from the same lot, I get 7 or more firings per case. I usually start losing cases do to primer pockets being loose but still for the price for hunting I'm good with them. My load 72.5 gr Retumbo 168 gr Bergers.

Well, I choose a cartridge based on:
1. medium recoil with .300 Win mag being at the upper limits of "medium".
2. inherent accuracy of the cartridge (i.e. 6.5 mm bullets have great BCs and CD numbers and the cartridge has a long enough neck to load longer bullets W/O compressing a powder charge) Ex. I just purchased a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro for the cartridge's flat trajectory and the energy it has to kill a bull elk out to 400 - 400 yards - should I ever pull a tag!
3. availability of brass for reloading (6.5 PRC will be showing up in many brands in the next few years. "In Hornady marketing I trust.")

So no, I don't want any cartridge above .30 caliber and as mentioned .300 Win mag is my upper limit for recoil tolerance. After all, a boy has to practice and practice means at least 40 rounds per session. Would YOU shoot a 300 RUM for 40 rounds?? Me neither.

Eric B.

Well, I choose a cartridge based on:
1. medium recoil with .300 Win mag being at the upper limits of "medium".
2. inherent accuracy of the cartridge (i.e. 6.5 mm bullets have great BCs and CD numbers and the cartridge has a long enough neck to load longer bullets W/O compressing a powder charge) Ex. I just purchased a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro for the cartridge's flat trajectory and the energy it has to kill a bull elk out to 400 - 400 yards - should I ever pull a tag!
3. availability of brass for reloading (6.5 PRC will be showing up in many brands in the next few years. "In Hornady marketing I trust.")

So no, I don't want any cartridge above .30 caliber and as mentioned .300 Win mag is my upper limit for recoil tolerance. After all, a boy has to practice and practice means at least 40 rounds per session. Would YOU shoot a 300 RUM for 40 rounds?? Me neither.

Eric B.
I'm thinking that post was meant for a different thread......

Hello all. My Dad is doing load development for his Remington 700 SPS Stainless chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. He currently is running some cheap PPU brass that is not very consistent. My choice would be ADG 7mmRM brass, but it's out of stock and he kind of needs some new brass.
You may want to try RWS brass. Very good - use in my BAR. Kind of hard to find and like Lapua cost.

Hello all. My Dad is doing load development for his Remington 700 SPS Stainless chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. He currently is running some cheap PPU brass that is not very consistent. My choice would be ADG 7mmRM brass, but it's out of stock and he kind of needs some new brass soon.

I know there's a lot of information on this page about brass, but I'm looking for the most up to date info. Manufacturers quality goes up and down so that's why I ask. The choices we have are Hornady, Norma, Nosler, Federal, Remington, and Winchester. I know from experience Federal brass is very soft, so that's out of the mix. I don't have much personal experience with the others. We match prep all of our brass, so if it's not 100% ready to load or consistent out of the box, that's okay as long as it's not complete garbage. We also want brass that will last at least 6-7 firings without losing the primer pockets or any other major issues. Any help or input is appreciated. Thanks
I have been using norma brass for 5 years I use it in 7 rem mag and 300 norma 300 win mag 300 HH mag 7-300 norma imp 264 win mag and have not had any problems with it and it weighs very consistent I shoot between 3000 to 5000 rds every year I would buy norma brass and not look back

I use RWS brass for my 7mm Magnum that I shoot in a Browning BAR. Very consistent and have had no problems with it. Kind hard to find and Lapua price range but seems worth it.

I only buy once fired brass for all my rifles. Very easy on the pocket book and I can sort through the brass. I'm running Remington brass right now. I weight sort my brass and spend a great deal of time prepping my brass.

Sorry about that, Jud. I thought they did, but I guess I presumed so because I got some .300 Win Mag from them that is exactly like my ADG lot of the same caliber. Identical but for the head stamps of "ADG" vs "G"...
You're good man. I had assumed they'd have it too after hearing of people using their .300 WIN brass. Gunwerks used to use a ton of 7mmRM rifles, so it only would make sense for them to offer brass for it.

as far as the brass for 7rm regarding neck thickness consistency , heres what i found

nosler will have more consistent necks right outta the box, best ive tried yet
norma will be a close second , very good
winchester will not have good necks , but could be prepped to be good
Remington necks are a quite a bit better than Winchester but still not great, but readily available in once fired and can be prepped/turned to be good as well
hornady , has been so soft in all others cartridges that i have tried , its outta the race, dont plan to ever try it
ADG , still havent tried

id say get what you think will always be available

I would probably use Nosler brass if I didn't have a surplus of other brass at my disposal. I have roughly 400 once fired Federal brass right now and 150 or so of 7-8 times fired. I keep getting more of this brass because my hunting buddies don't reload and only shoot Federal ammo. I used this brass in my 7mm, before the re-barrel, with good results. I was shooting a stout load of Retumbo with 180 VLD's at 2975fps. Accuracy was 3/4 - 1 MOA with this load, plenty accurate enough for a factory hunting rifle (Sendero SF-II). I never did any brass prep other than trim and resize. If I remember correctly, the cull on these was less than 5 or 6 pieces. When I do use this brass again, I'll take the time to do proper prep work and weight sort them.

After the re-barrel, I had 200 new Winchester brass that I had purchased earlier and decided to work up a load with. The WW brass is working out quite well but I did spend the time prepping this brass. As mentioned, the necks are not very consistent so I turned them all down to 0.012". I have not weight sorted them, yet. I'm running a fairly stout load in these as well with the 180's but with VV N570 powder this time getting 3050fps. I'm only on my 2nd firing of these so I don't yet know how much life I'll get from them. I'm seeing 1/2 MOA with this load but I attribute that more to the new barrel, not the brass or prep work.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.