7mm Rem Mag Brass

Jud96

Hello all. My Dad is doing load development for his Remington 700 SPS Stainless chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. He currently is running some cheap PPU brass that is not very consistent. My choice would be ADG 7mmRM brass, but it's out of stock and he kind of needs some new brass soon.

I know there's a lot of information on this page about brass, but I'm looking for the most up to date info. Manufacturers quality goes up and down so that's why I ask. The choices we have are Hornady, Norma, Nosler, Federal, Remington, and Winchester. I know from experience Federal brass is very soft, so that's out of the mix. I don't have much personal experience with the others. We match prep all of our brass, so if it's not 100% ready to load or consistent out of the box, that's okay as long as it's not complete garbage. We also want brass that will last at least 6-7 firings without losing the primer pockets or any other major issues. Any help or input is appreciated. Thanks

I recently went through this too - my research seemed to show that the prevailing opinion out there is that the Norma brass is the best of what's available, and is comparable to Lapua (who unfortunately doesn't make 7RM brass).

I recently went through this too - my research seemed to show that the prevailing opinion out there is that the Norma brass is the best of what's available, and is comparable to Lapua (who unfortunately doesn't make 7RM brass).
I had heard that Norma brass was soft in magnums, but if that's the consensus, I'll take note of that.

+1 for Norma, but I'm shooting some Nosler 7RM brass with good results. It was bought about 4-5 years ago, so a high chance it was made by Norma.

96, the Sportsmans Warehouse in Morgantown has Norma and Nosler brass which would perhaps be the best for the 7mm.

I have two 50 CT lots, one has been fired fired 9 times, the other 6 times. I've only lost 2 cases in the 9x to loose primer pockets, none in the 6x lot.
Dang that's great! What bullet weight and velocity are you running?

Thanks! It seems those two are the best choices available

96, if Lapua made 7mag brass it would be my first choice. Lots of custom/premium brass manufacturers lately, but they don't have a very extensive selection and always several calibers they do make are on back ordered.

180 Berger's @ 3020 w/retumbo
168 Berger's @ 3050 w/retumbo
Awesome! I was hoping they weren't sissy loads haha. We are looking for 3050 with 162 ELDs. We have achieved this, but the brass he's using has a lot to be desired

First time using Nosler or Hornady brass for me was this spring for Dads 7RM and a friend's 270 Win. Nosler is the most consistent brass I've ever worked with, I am extremely impressed. 180 Berger just over 3000 with H1000. Can't say about longevity yet. The Hornady primer pockets were so loose that you could almost seat the primer by hand, he will be lucky to get 4 firings. I won't be buying any Hornady brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.