7mm Rem Mag and 180 Berger

denphillips2

Hi Guys,
Looking for a decent place to start with this one. Gun is not finished yet, but need to pick up some components.

Barrel is going to finish about 30".

What would be a good temperature stable powder to start with? Any recommendations on primers? Cases will be Winchester because that is what I have.

Thanks!
Denny

I had real good luck with Retumbo when I was shooting the 180 Berger Hybrids in my old 7 mag. I loaded right at the max Berger recomends using Fed 215 primers and win brass.

Might want to look at H1000 as well. The Win LR or LRM primers have been real good for me. I usually prefer the regular LR primers.

Gary

Thanks!
Do you guys remember what kind of velocities you were getting? Also, do you have a starting point for these powders? You can pm me of you don't want to post it.

Thanks!
Denny

i used a max load 70.2gr of h1000 in mine. velocity was 2920fps in a 26" lilja at 3000ft. great accuracy but horrible case life. im goin to try switching to retumbo and lower the charge to 69.5-70gr. to see how this works. FYI 71.5 was a hot retumbo load for my rifle. start lower obviously.

cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.