7mm Rem Mag and 180 Berger

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by denphillips2, Sep 14, 2011.

1. denphillips2

denphillips2 Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,
    Looking for a decent place to start with this one. Gun is not finished yet, but need to pick up some components.

Barrel is going to finish about 30".

What would be a good temperature stable powder to start with? Any recommendations on primers? Cases will be Winchester because that is what I have.

Thanks!
    Denny

2. jsimonh

jsimonh Well-Known Member

I had real good luck with Retumbo when I was shooting the 180 Berger Hybrids in my old 7 mag. I loaded right at the max Berger recomends using Fed 215 primers and win brass.

3. diriel

diriel Well-Known Member

Might want to look at H1000 as well. The Win LR or LRM primers have been real good for me. I usually prefer the regular LR primers.

Gary

4. denphillips2

denphillips2 Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    Do you guys remember what kind of velocities you were getting? Also, do you have a starting point for these powders? You can pm me of you don't want to post it.

Thanks!
    Denny

5. shawnb

shawnb Well-Known Member

i used a max load 70.2gr of h1000 in mine. velocity was 2920fps in a 26" lilja at 3000ft. great accuracy but horrible case life. im goin to try switching to retumbo and lower the charge to 69.5-70gr. to see how this works. FYI 71.5 was a hot retumbo load for my rifle. start lower obviously.

cheers.