7mm Rem Mag and 180 Berger Hybrids

I see this thread has been revived a bit. To update on my loads, I ended at .010 off the lands, Federal 215M primers, Win Brass. I am shooting 70gr H1000. Only shoots about 5/8" at 100yds, but at 200yds the bullets touch. I am at 2880 right now. I shot a bull elk at 350yds with them this year and they were devastating. Not really long range at that point though. They did get some work on some antelope at 581 and 587. Worked excellent. I will say this, as if nobody really knew, but at 250yds and in, these things are lethal. Man do they leave a hole. Very pleased with the performance. Another quality I like about them is that even though they are crazy long bullets, and I have them seated way out, they still fit in the magazine. Pretty nice perk I guess.

Hope everyone else is having as good of luck.

I have the following setup : 7mmRM w/28" Krieger Barrel (1-9). 70.0gr H1000 with Berger 180 Match VLD's, GM215M, .005" into lands.

I got 2940fps at a density altitude of 1800ft as forecast by Quickload. Bolt is sticky and primers flattening, and some cases getting stuck. I will have to back off the powder and take another look at Retumbo.

My last Retumbo tests showed too much ES but the H1000 has been single digit ES!! I really want the H1000 to work but I think the magnum primers plus the pressure spike at ignition from the bullet touching the lands is just too much pressure.

I tried the Hybrid 180's but cant get them to shoot as well as the regular Berger 180 Match VLD's.

I also shoot the Berger 180's in my 7mmSTW at around 3050fps and they are easily < 1/2MOA. I think the Bergers need to be at 3000+ to shine.

Any recommendations on how to get my 7mmRM with 180 Bergers up to 3000fps? Or I may need to do something radial and change to another 7mm variant to get the speed??

Thanks

Any recommendations on how to get my 7mmRM with 180 Bergers up to 3000fps? Or I may need to do something radial and change to another 7mm variant to get the speed??

Thanks

The simple answer is RL33
With your barrel length it should be a walk in the park to crest 3100.

I think the powder is a little better suited for something like the LRM. Something with a pinch more case capacity...but with the 180 and your barrel length. It's got serious potential. Start around 74-75 and work up. You'll probably approach 100-105% case capacity before you see pressure signs.

The other day I found some RL33 and gave it try in my 7RM starting at 75.0 grains at 3090 fps and worked up to pressure signs at 78.5 grains running 3190 fps. I think this combo deserves further investigation.

That's almost where I ran out of room. 79 was just too full to seat properly, but still wasn't seeing unreasonable pressure.
I'm runing 78.4 with no pressure, but I need to bump my shoulders back about ever 3rd firing. I'm only neck sizing the rest of the time.
So far I've got 9 firings through 100 pieces of Nosler brass and haven't had to discard any for primer pocket issues. Just picked up another 500 hybrids and if accuracy holds out beyond 1500rnds with that kind of speed...I will be pleased as a peacock.

Once she goes south in the accuracy department, I'll probably hack her down to 20" and try runing a 162 Amax with RL26

Thanks for the replies, I will definitely try out RL-33.

I have Quickload v 3.6 and it does not have data for RL-33. I will have to scour the internet to find the 7 variables from any Quickload users with V3.7 or v3.8 so I can do some pressure estimates.

Any chance you guys have the latest Quickload and could shoot me some numbers???

I switch from the 168VLD to the 180VLD this past summer in a new Sendero 7RM. I also read lots of good things with Vit N570 when shooting heavies. I found .070 OTL was best and working up pressure I had the best groups at the top end which was 72 grains. I backed off to 70 grains and am right at 2929 fps.

jjw
ND

I tried rl 26 and the 180 hybrids yesterday. I loaded them for a 24" barreled LAW Professional in 7Rem mag. Fed 215 and bullets seated .020 off the lands.

69.5 grains produced 3000fps and increased bolt lift. By contrast, 68.5 grains of Retumbo gave me 2887fps and the same increased bolt lift.

I settled on 68.5 grains of Re-26 at 2915fps and shot the bottom 3 shot group in the picture at 510yds. The upper group was shot by my buddy and was also the 180gn hybrids out of his 7sherman short. He used about 10 grains less powder and is getting 2960 out of a 26" bbl. Cool cartridge...

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 155
Found this old thread and thought I'd revive it a bit! haha. I bought a Fierce rifle 7mm Rem mag. I did a ladder test and found a couple good nodes--all of them .015 off the lands. My daughter was really wanting to "help" me and she made a 4 rounds. Somehow they were all .020 off the lands. I shot them for fun and they were FANTASTIC. My final load was 70 grains of H1000 and the 180 Hybrid. Ran 7 of them thru the Chrono and they were all between 2981 and 2992. The next day we took it out on a cow hunt and it made a PERFECT shot at 546 yards. She went down hard. High shoulder shot, pass thru. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! I was going to try Retumbo for a bit faster, but 1 ragged hole at 200 yards is good for me!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.