7MM questions

locotrician

Invisible
I have always been a .30 cal guy and favor heavier guns(10-16) pounders. but i had a Remington 700 LSS catch my eye at a gun show this weekend and i bought it. it is chambered in 7MM rem mag. I want to have the trigger worked and the action bedded and get the lugs lapped then start shooting it and if it shoots ill leave it alone then if not ill re barrel but for now i would like to know if anyone knows what the twist rate of the factory rem barrel is? and if so what weight bullets i should be looking at for that twist rate additionally if i do re barrel what twist should i select for the heavy VLD's probably JLK's. and finally i am looking for some pet loads. Thanks

typical STD is Remington = 1 in 9.25" 7mm Rem.
I have a weatherby VG 7MMRM with this twist rate and
shoot 160gr great haven't tried the 175 yet.

I prefer 9 to 9.25 twist. I've been advised to use a 10 twist but that was based on my bullet choice of a 168 Berger VLD.

I have a 1 n 9 twist and am shooting 162 amax and 160 accubonds at around 3060 fps. Using federal brass, ferderal 215 primer, 73 grains ADI 2217/H1000. Work up to this load as I think this batch of powder is a bit slower than normal.

The 162 amax box says to use a 1 in 8 twist but most comments I have seen show 1 in 9 works ok. I am using the amax (BC 0.625) over the bergers because they are a bit easier to get shooting ok and are cheaper here in NZ.

To get a significant difference in trajectory you would probably need to jump up to the 180 berger or equivalent.

Have fun, it is a great calibre to shoot!

Stu.

... and finally i am looking for some pet loads. Thanks

I like the 160gr Accubonds. I use RL22 and get just over 3000fps from a 24" barrel. I use Rem 9 1/2 primers (not the magnums, as I've always gotten better accuracy with the non-magnum primers in my 7RM's). My current 7RM has shot sub .3" groups at 200yds with the RL22 and 160gr Accubonds! (sub 8lb rifle). I use Norma brass.

AJ

Hi man,

I use the 7mm RM since many years now. My First "pet load" was a 160gr Sierra SBT under a stout load of Norma MRP powder with Norma Brass and CCI 250. Norma MRP powder give me an excellent result. Some other people seem to have top performance too, with, Hodgdon Retumboand H1000. Vihtavuori VN 560/570 serie will be my next test powders.

Today, I use 168gr VLD Berger a lot with the same recipe through a custom sporter rifle, with a 26ic Match cutting Barrel and a custom Sniper Rifle always with a 26ic HB Barrel. Performance is astonishing in both rifle.

See you.

I've got a couple of 7mmRM. Good round. Flat shooter with very managable recoil. I just started reloading but have found some pretty consistent ammo and loads. Everything is less than an inch and most is .5-.7. The only primer I use is Fed 215

MRX/TTSX
62g IMR 4831
.03" off the lands
.376 is my best but ususally in the .45-.65 range
Hard to practice with MRX ammo b.c it is 1.10 a bullet. Yes just the bullet. :(

Berger 168
65g RL-22
I cant remember the COAL but it is a long one!!
.434 yesterday. Groups so well it is almost not fair.

Accubond 140g
65g RL22
These also are pretty long esp when compared to factory ammo.
Hard to get this down below .6 MOA but I'm working on it.

I shoot a Sendero/NF3.5-15x56. Great setup. More accurate than the chuck of meat behind the trigger.:D

the remington LSS has a 9 and 1/4" twist. it should stablize even a 180 berger. i have had several 7mm mags. i have an adl(67 vintage) i picked up it was virtually unfired. it shoots 139 horn 69.5 h-4831 ( warm)into .6-.8. the adl does not have a brake. interestingly i have changed brass( norma win rem horn) and shot different primers. they all shoot about 6.-.8 i have not shot a 180 berger out of it. i have shot 175 sierras btsp; and 168mk. i shot the 180 bergers and 168 bergers out of 7mm rem mag win laredo i had. they shot real good. my son-in law won the 1k match here with 168 berger and the laredo. it did not have a brake and the 180's were too much for me.

Have had no problems stabilizing a 175 gr Sierra or 175 Nosler Partition from a factory barreled 7mm Rem Magnum. The 160 Sierra SPBT's were amazingly accurate - and my best loads were with Reloader 22. I like the 7mm RM, from coyotes to elk.

Regards, Guy

I happen to love 7mm cartridges. I have owned a few over the years, and am currently working on a load for a nice Winchester 70 I got last year. This is actally the first time I've loaded for 7mm. I've loaded for .270 and a lot of handguns, but never a 7mm.

I'm looking for insight on loads for Nosler 160 grain Accubonds with RL 19, 22, or 25. I've been playing around with RL 25, but I think the other two powders are more efficient for this cartridge. Cursory 3-shot groups while testing powder charges have yielded 1 1/2 inch, but I think this can do much better. I've owned 4 Winchesters, all post-94 controlled feed models, in calibers from .22-250 to .375 H&H, and I've never had one that wouldn't do sub-MOA with decent factory loads.

Give me your best 7mm load data!!

It took me a while to get good group with the 140AB.

I had to seat the bullet pretty far out. 3.360 I think. Much longer than factory ammo.
65g of RL22 with a gold match REGULAR rifle match primer. 210M.

3050mv. Not the hottest but sub .5 goups are more what I'm after.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.