7mm STW Barrel Questions

aroshtr

I am having a 7mm STW built by a friend/gunsmith. We have ordered a reamer that is throated for long VLD bullets like the Berger 180 and such. The barrel is a Broughton 5c with a 1-9" twist, and a #5 countour. I ordered the barrel as a 29" blank and planned on having a 28" finished barrel length. However, my gunsmith (who is mainly a benchrest shooter) is saying I do not need the extra barrel length and that I should only go with a 26" finished length. His point is that it is easier to deal with the shorter gun in a hunting situation, and he thinks the #5 countour is a little small for a full 28" finished length....

I would love some input from the experts on here. I plan on shooting heavy bullest 175-180grn bullets with slower powders like H1000, and Retumbo. The gun will not have a brake or any fluting. It is a Remington 700 action and I will be using a laminated stock. Thanks for any advise or suggestions.

P.S. Is there a market for this reamer and headspace gauge after I finish the project?

Joel

Joel

I have had 2 7MM STW Built buy Paul Day at Fort Gibon Okla.

An I have an Sendro 7MM STW two .

I use H1000 120 BT an 140 BT .

All 3 Rifles our Rem Action HB . I would take an Good Look at useing at Visa Muzzel Brake .

I have 26 In Barrels on Rifles ,But I would stay with the 28 Barrel .

You can All ways Gut your Barrel Off to 26 If you think It is to Long .

But you can Knot add 2 In Back .

Redbone

if its going to be used for extended range I'd go with the 28", you'll gain at least another 100 fps mv, and it won't be to cumbersome, I have a 26" mark bansner built UR-1 stw and a kirby allen aps extreme hunter in 7mm AM with a 30" barrel, don't see all that much difference.
I shoot H-1000 behind 140's, and WC872 behind 160's in my STW.
RR

Thanks for the input guys....

Anyone think the #5 on the light/whippy side for 28"???
It doesn't seem that big of a deal to me especially with no fluting, but heck what do I know....:D

Thanks again, and I can't wait til' I get her back and start load work-up. If I want, it sounds like I can have it film dipped in mossy oak break-up camo at the PSE Archery factory for very little cost. I will either do that or do a custom paint job myself with my airbrush. If there are any other suggestions let me know.

Joel

ive got two #5s one on an30-06 27/1/4 ss-hart,the others a 26 inch #5 ss / douglas 338 w/mag,also own two STW''S one stock 24 inch fac/pipe the other 26 inch factoryalso....your 28 inch #5 will work out great...lite n whippy i think NOT!!!
regards

my bansner 7 STW is a 26" plus a brake fluted #5 lilja, if its whippy, it whips the right way, been shooting groups as small as the high .3's since 1996.
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.