7mm bullet for long range hunting other than Berger, for accuracy challenged barrel...

This might be a stupid question, but I have to ask... Are you setting a static seating depth with the Bergers and working up a load in 1/2 grain increments? That is one of the best and easiest ways I've found working up loads with Bergers. Then, once you find a good node, start adjusting seating depth with that same powder charge that shot the best.

Both.... I have tried a lot of variations. Into the lands, on the lands, away from the lands in 20 thou increments all the way back to a sizable jump. And I've tried several powder choices, varying by .3 or .4 grains over a range of loads, from a neutral point about 5 thousands off the lands. And tried varying powder jammed into the rifling.

I am done with Berger. I am a decent handloader. Have several guns shooting sub .5 MOA. But none with a Berger bullet.

Before anyone asks, I am using a micrometer seating die too, so the seating depths are pretty constant I think......

Now I am trying to decide if waiting for the Hornady .284 175gr ELD-X is worth it. People seem less impressed with the A-Max in 7mm than in the 264 offering. Or the Nosler Accubond -- but I have read some pretty negative threads about that one too.....

Thanks for the advice......

Have had great luck shooting the 180 grain Scenars. Worth a try. Excellent accuracy and on game performance to 700 yards.

Some rifles just wont shoot the Bergers because of the Secant ogive.

I have had this issue with them in some rifles and tried standard ogive bullets and found them to work great in these instances.

Try the ballistic tips and the Accubonds to start with. I know the BCs are not as good but to me accuracy is more important. Both shoot like the SMKs but are designed for hunting. I also found that the ballistic tips performed great at extended distance (600+ yards because of lower velocities).

Just because they have been around for a while, doesn't mean they are not good. all rifles are individuals and you need to find out what they want and like.

J E CUSTOM

When you say "ballistic tips", do you mean specifically the Nosler offering, or are there others that qualify?

As far as not shooting the secant ogive bullets, it disappoints me nonetheless. I sent Shilen a dummy cartridge that had my COAL for the magazine, had them chamber to that spec. Got the stainless select match barrel which is their highest offering. Not exactly ready to throw the barrel away......

Found some 175gr Accubond LR Nosler for a good price at Midway. They were on closeout. I have a feeling that if I had read some more threads or reviews, I might have not chose that bullet either. But the price is good and why not try something.....

morning, everybody bergers bergers bergers, half the time a person can not find these

bullets for testing or hunting. I gave up waiting and asking questions. Now may I ask

a simple question. what is wrong with Barnes bullets. the new LRX is an outstanding

bullet. I realize that at times that barnes bullet can b very tempermentel. boy I know.

the construction. of this bullet is a marvel itself. I have had very good progress with

these bullets. there TSX&TTSX r very accurate bullets.

Now I also use Lapua for my very heavy barreled 243, and my 6.5 rem. magnum custom.

Both rifles have short throats. I use Lapua because of the design of the bullet. shoot very good.

Barnes is well known for making good bullets. Personally I think that they are overly optimistic about the bullet length (mass) for a given barrel twist for marketing reasons (copper vs lead core transition) Both GS Custom and Cutting Edge give much more conservative advice on twist vs mass / length for their copper bullet offerings. In my mind, this at least partially explains why people sometimes have trouble getting the Barnes to shoot properly.

I find it interesting that GSC publishes very distinct suggestions for using their bullets in "shorter range", up to 500 meters, and "over 500 meters". That level of detail is missing from a lot of bullet data sheets.

I am not bashing anyone's bullet offerings, since I live in a looney no-lead bullets state, I tend to spend my time looking at those options.

Its possible that you bought a dud from shilen. EVERY manufacturer has them go out from time to time.

I'd try the 162 amax and 160 AB. I haven't heard a lot of good things about the LRAB's so far. But a gun I built for a buddy really likes the 210gr LRAB.

Aaron

What is your rifling rate of twist? I did not see that in the OP. I have a 7mm rem mag and it shoots 150 grain Nosler BT and 160 grain Nosler AB sub .5 MOA out to 750 yards (that is the max distance at my range).
I currently shoot the Nosler AB 160 grain. My barrel is a Krieger 26" 1:9.5 twist rate.
I could not get my rifle to shoot the 168 ABLR to save my life. Tried multiple powder charges and multiple seating depths. I think maybe my twist rate is not fast enough.
The Nosler AB 160 grain is an outstanding 7mm bullet.

What is your rifling rate of twist? I did not see that in the OP. I have a 7mm rem mag and it shoots 150 grain Nosler BT and 160 grain Nosler AB sub .5 MOA out to 750 yards (that is the max distance at my range).
I currently shoot the Nosler AB 160 grain. My barrel is a Krieger 26" 1:9.5 twist rate.
I could not get my rifle to shoot the 168 ABLR to save my life. Tried multiple powder charges and multiple seating depths. I think maybe my twist rate is not fast enough.
The Nosler AB 160 grain is an outstanding 7mm bullet.

Well, your observations worry me some. In 2011 when I ordered the barrel, Berger was saying it would stabilize 180 with a 9:1 twist. So I actually changed my original order from an 8:1 twist to a 9:1 twist.......

I have some 168 Bergers that I have not tried. Perhaps they should be tried. But I never has seen any keyholing. I suppose "sort of stabilized" but not quite might result in accuracy issues but no keyholes though.......

Well, your observations worry me some. In 2011 when I ordered the barrel, Berger was saying it would stabilize 180 with a 9:1 twist. So I actually changed my original order from an 8:1 twist to a 9:1 twist.......

I have some 168 Bergers that I have not tried. Perhaps they should be tried. But I never has seen any keyholing. I suppose "sort of stabilized" but not quite might result in accuracy issues but no keyholes though.......

I shoot Berger 180 Hybrids in a factory Sendero SF with a 9.25 twist barrel. Stacks 5 in less than a 1/2-inch at 100... Your 9 twist should work fine for the 180's.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts