7mm bullet for long range hunting other than Berger, for accuracy challenged barrel...

cdherman

Hi. I've not been on the board in too long, but have been busy with life etc...

I have a 7mm SAUM, savage action, Shilen match grade stainless barrel 26", on a laminate fully bedded (barrel floated) stock.

I have a large supply of Berger 168 and 180 VLD bullets. The gun now has about 500 rounds down the barrel. About 4 at deer. The rest in my vain attempts to get it to shoot as good as I desire. I've tried various depths, primers, powders etc etc.

I got about .75" at 100 yards with the RP brass, sorted for weight, primer pockets reamed, flash holes reamed, etc etc. Not neck turned, or annealed, but just about all else... Gets better with once fired and the shoulder bumped back only 3-5 thou. But not better than .75 Tried the new Norma case offering in 7 SAUM. No better....

Second Chapter. I picked up a used 6.5x55 Tikka T3 Lightwieght from a friend. Could not get any .264 Berger bullets at the time, so settled for some Hornady A-Max 140gr pills. I have the stupid little T3 shooting bug holes with the A-max. I know, not a hunting bullet. But sure killed a deer this year....

Question:

-- I am tired of chasing 1000 yard accuracy and performance with Berger. Sorry. Need a break. I'd like my 7mm SAUM to at least be reliable to say 500 yards, maybe 600. I am painfully reluctant to wound game at long ranges. I want .5 MOA or so.

-- Suggest a bullet. I am thinking of the .284 a-max 162 grain. Just because it was so nice in my Tikka.

Thanks in advance... I tried searches, but had no luck....

You're on the right road with the 162 Amax. It is deadly on game that's over 150-200 yards, as it tends to expand too quickly at close ranges. Lots of folks keep a few 160 Accubonds loaded for close shots, just in case. The soon to be available (????) Hornady 162 ELD-X is possibly an even better choice, depending on real world use over the next few years. It will also be available in a 175 offering in 7mm. Good Luck

You have more patience then me. I would have torn the barrel off and started over. If I can't get good groups from a custom barrel in 2 range sessions or under 30 rounds it goes away.

I've shot numerous critters with 140 6.5mm and 162 7mm Amax's in the last 4-5 years. The 6.5mm 140's perform better from my 6.5-300wm then the 7mm 162's do from my 7-300wm even though they are going almost the same speed. I've killed elk, deer, and antelope with both and the 140's penetrate better than the 162's. I will try the new ELD-X bullets in my 7mm since I wasn't impressed with the penetration on elk. The 162's didn't make it to the far side of the rib cage on a bull I shot this year at 533yds and I had to shoot him again to finish him off.

I would try a GS Custom 284120HV062 and see if that helps. (double check the twist requirements for your rifle and that bullet) Follow their load data and bullet depth guides, which require measuring MV during tuning.

The bore rider designs cure a lot of ills. If they won't shoot, then personally, I would make a significant rifle change.

They have a factory in MI, so shipping is easy. In case you are wondering, no I am not affiliated with them in any way, just like their bullets.

You didn't give any numbers but I suggest you slow down.
Far too many think that at or above max loads, is magically where things shoot bugholes. In reality, far more rifles/barrels will NOT print as tightly when pushed.

You didn't give any numbers but I suggest you slow down.
Far too many think that at or above max loads, is magically where things shoot bugholes. In reality, far more rifles/barrels will NOT print as tightly when pushed.

+1
If you really need the extra speed, build a 7stw, rum, etc... Let her fart the bullets out and I bet you will see magic...
Heck, even my 7rum gets start loads for 180 sierra's.... just so happens that the rifle shoots 3080 fps with those start loads... my 168 berger load for my 7rum is 2850 fps, but she'll put both loads an inch at 200 all day from a stock lss...

I need to work with my current 7stw more, but currently the only great load is a 140 nos ab at a leisurely 3340 fps from a 27" Shilen. I've seen some magic with 180 Berger's around 2900 fps also... I need to work a bit more with 195's and then settle on a lr load, but I bet it won't be full throttle from what this rifle's shown so far...

I do run virtually full throttle with some combinations/rifles, but far more of my loads are leaving at least some velocity on the table in favor of accuracy.

Appreciate the comments thus far. I was not trying for velocity in the 7 SAUM loads thus far. But there is not piles of published loads out there either, particularly when I started the process of working with the SAUM in 2012....

I have seen some pressure signs, but its been hard to know for sure. I might try another set of loads with the Berger's, but honestly, they are getting on my nerves. I have a couple other rifles that I have tried the Bergers in as well (270 WSM, 340 Weatherby) and had no luck there either.....

I have this old 6.5x55 swede (not the Tikka) that I got .5 MOA groups from an old batch (20 plus year) of Speer spritzers I had laying around. It must not be that difficult.....

Dunno. Hate to wear out a barrel on a hunting gun just shooting to work up a load. I purchased the Shilen select match grade. Like 550 now. Less in 2012. Throwing away a supposed match grade barrel from a premium manufacturer is very painful....

Appreciate the comments thus far. I was not trying for velocity in the 7 SAUM loads thus far. But there is not piles of published loads out there either, particularly when I started the process of working with the SAUM in 2012....

I have seen some pressure signs, but its been hard to know for sure. I might try another set of loads with the Berger's, but honestly, they are getting on my nerves. I have a couple other rifles that I have tried the Bergers in as well (270 WSM, 340 Weatherby) and had no luck there either.....

I have this old 6.5x55 swede (not the Tikka) that I got .5 MOA groups from an old batch (20 plus year) of Speer spritzers I had laying around. It must not be that difficult.....

Dunno. Hate to wear out a barrel on a hunting gun just shooting to work up a load. I purchased the Shilen select match grade. Like 550 now. Less in 2012. Throwing away a supposed match grade barrel from a premium manufacturer is very painful....

This might be a stupid question, but I have to ask... Are you setting a static seating depth with the Bergers and working up a load in 1/2 grain increments? That is one of the best and easiest ways I've found working up loads with Bergers. Then, once you find a good node, start adjusting seating depth with that same powder charge that shot the best.

morning, everybody bergers bergers bergers, half the time a person can not find these

bullets for testing or hunting. I gave up waiting and asking questions. Now may I ask

a simple question. what is wrong with Barnes bullets. the new LRX is an outstanding

bullet. I realize that at times that barnes bullet can b very tempermentel. boy I know.

the construction. of this bullet is a marvel itself. I have had very good progress with

these bullets. there TSX&TTSX r very accurate bullets.

Now I also use Lapua for my very heavy barreled 243, and my 6.5 rem. magnum custom.

Both rifles have short throats. I use Lapua because of the design of the bullet. shoot very good.

Some rifles just wont shoot the Bergers because of the Secant ogive.

I have had this issue with them in some rifles and tried standard ogive bullets and found them to work great in these instances.

Try the ballistic tips and the Accubonds to start with. I know the BCs are not as good but to me accuracy is more important. Both shoot like the SMKs but are designed for hunting. I also found that the ballistic tips performed great at extended distance (600+ yards because of lower velocities).

Just because they have been around for a while, doesn't mean they are not good. all rifles are individuals and you need to find out what they want and like.

J E CUSTOM

my experience is the bergers shoot great in everything I have shot them in. especially my rem 700 7mm with Krieger barrel. I shoot others too, like 90 grain scenars in 6mm, 167 in 30-06, and 139 in the 6.5-285. excellent

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.