Douglas Barrels for long range hunting?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by silvercreekguide, Jun 12, 2011.

1. silvercreekguide

silvercreekguide Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I have been looking at this site for a few months now and finally decided to join. I am re-barreling my 300 win mag very soon and was wondering what you all thought about Douglas Barrels? I like most others am in a tight spot for money right now, so i figured i may give these a try. I also would like your opinion on the optimal barrel length for the 300 win mag?

2. sinarms

sinarms Well-Known Member

What is your budget? Douglass can have good barrels, sometimes they are hard to get and their blank finish is horrible. I use Brux barrels a lot and Shilen and Mcgowen. What type of rifle are you rebarreling? most people go 24-26" but it all depends on what you want to do with the rifle too.

3. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

I haven't used Douglas, but Shilen is easier on the budget than some others.

I won't tout them as the best. But, I think they are a great value particularly when Midway has the one you need in stock.

-- richard

4. highridge1

highridge1 Well-Known Member

Yes Douglas makes great barrels. The most important thing is the gunsmith putting it all together.

5. silvercreekguide

Thank you for your posts.
    sinarms- My budget is around $350 threaded, crowned, & chambered...if possible. I am rebuilding a 1000 yard rifle that i would like to be able to push the 210gr vld around 2900 or faster. And I am not concerned about weight at all.

6. sinarms

That will be a tight budget if it is a remington. If it is a Savage you can do that pretty easily.

7. silvercreekguide

highridge1- Douglas offers a threaded, crowned, and chambered light palma barrel that is 30in long that is threaded to a rem 700 for about $300. Would this be a good or bad choice?

8. sinarms

I checked their site and it shows $425 to fit a palma barrel to an action plus shipping and if you want SS it is $68 extra. Did you find something different somewhere else?

9. silvercreekguide

If you look under their price list, the fourth colum to the right. Is says Turned, Threaded Cut to Length Crowned & Polished for $283 and it says that price is for #4-#7 contour. You can send in your action as well and that price is $425.

10. sinarms

The cheaper barrel will be a short chambered barrel then and still need a smith to install it.

11. silvercreekguide

All the smith would need to do is use a finish reamer and screw the barrel on correct?

12. sinarms

Yes if you added the chambering option. You will have $400+ into it going that way.

13. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

Actually, you could rent a finish reamer for ~$30 and set the headspace by hand. But, that presumes that you know what you're doing; that you have barrel/action wrenches; that your action doesn't need truing; that the tolerances happen to all fall into place between the barrel, receiver, and bolt.

Any single misstep will set you back and you'd wish you'd sent it to a good smith.

My advice would be to find out what it'll cost to get it done right and keep shooting it as is while you save up.

-- richard

14. silvercreekguide

Thanks for all of the advise!