7MM Berger Conundrum

Not meaning to throw another wrinkle into the whole equation, but I had a question for Bryan on the 180 grain hybrid 7mm bullet. I was wondering how the 180 grain hybrid is able to have a higher BC than the 180 grain VLD? Does the hybrid bullet have a smaller meplat to go along with the hybrid design? Looking at the two bullets side by side the VLD bullet looks sleeker with the sharper secant ogive. Thanks.

Well after i got her sighted in at 100 yards, amazingly without using a holdoff (20MOA Base), I shot 2 2 shot groups (Dont like heating the barrel) and then my dad shot a 3 shot group. My best was just under 1/8moa at .114 Center to Center, my other group was .159 ctc. My father shot .993 ctc.

Attached is the target with information.

2012-04-11

It is sideways and i wrote on the target upside down, but you get the idea.

These 180's can really shoot.

Forgot to mention it is a 7x300 Weatherby i shot this group with. A picture of the rifle is below. Traded my 338-378 wby accumark for this. The paint on it sucks, and it is missing an ejector (Or its just dirty, have not really examined it yet). There are a lot of things i am not happy with but once i get it cleaned up and fixed up im sure it will be great. Group was shot on a bench with harris bipod and rolled up Army ACU top as rear bag :) Sitting on top is a Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 gen 1 (1" tube).

2012-04-11

In regards to the difference in the two bullets as far as how they perform on game, I was told by the guy's at Gunwerks when they were smithing my 7LRM that the 180VLD performs better on bigger big game. I haven't shot a big game critter with the 180VLD yet, so I can't tell you whether it kills em' any deader than the 168's I've killed em' with.

Well the 180 has slightly higher Energies. But it is not enough to care about. I think that with what i have been learning they are identical to each other just depends on which one you can get to shoot in your gun. IMO there is not enough difference to even bring the point up, once you have played with things. If need be I can post Energy Vs Range tables and such. Also understand this is using a 7x300 wby at MAX (according to Load From a Disk) pressure.

great groups but i see you are pushing them at 2850 that is way short of the capabilities of the 7-300wby. when we used the 175 nos (1/2 in moa) back in 1993 we were pushing them to 3250 with 78.5grs of 7828 and h-870. i would think it would be reasonable to expect that out of the 180. i can get there with mine but the groups go to hell. over 3200 and the vld come apart because of the jump to the lands. we are going to try the hybrids to see if they will stay together. the bc is also better on the hybrids.

Well after i got her sighted in at 100 yards, amazingly without using a holdoff (20MOA Base), I shot 2 2 shot groups (Dont like heating the barrel) and then my dad shot a 3 shot group. My best was just under 1/8moa at .114 Center to Center, my other group was .159 ctc. My father shot .993 ctc.

Attached is the target with information.

It is sideways and i wrote on the target upside down, but you get the idea.

These 180's can really shoot.

Nice 2x2 pairs.

What changed between shooting the 2 pairs?

-- richard

Nice 2x2 pairs.

What changed between shooting the 2 pairs?

-- richard

I Need to Take lessons. Shot 2, rested and shot 2 more. Not sure why POI shifted. Also i shot so many rounds through the chrony i could not tell if it was a velocity issue. I doubt it, paralax might have been messed up as well. Scope was giving me problems, i dont remember it being hard to turn the Magnification ring from about 12-16x but normal everywhere else. I also did not lap the rings.

I just tried to hurry up get to the range and shoot on paper to see what it can do. As far as the slow load I want to push them a lot faster (Load From A Disk says 3500 FPS) for long range shooting. I need to play around with numbers to see how fast is fast enough but ideally id like as flat of a shooter as i can get. It WIll be keeping one of these rounds loaded up in case i cant get anything better.

Ill shoot this thing as much as i can and get it tied down, but i am really thrilled with the 180's that people say cant shoot. It will be about a week before i get back out, Ill shoot the same load and do some 3 shot groups and see what i can do.

Quick question -- the paint seems like a heavy duty Spray Paint, will bead blasting (Professionally done) remove this? I have decided i really want the paint off and get it cerakoted. And the trigger is going to be replaced with a basics or SSS. I really want the SSS bench but not sure i want to send the rifle off, and it soundsl like they only do it to actions they true and time. No need to tune a shooter.

BowHuntHard:

I have read this article and I am shooting Hybrids which are much less finicy. If someone is shooting a VLD (Tangent Ogive I believe) then they need to jump them, but the Hybrid Design lends itself to any seating depth. This i believe is demonstrated here by me loading rounds to where thye "Looked Good" and then got good results. I did not measure them until i was ready to write the information on the target.

IMO if you are going to shoot anything other than Serious Bench Rest shooting then the Hybrid is good enough. IMO VLD's are only really show an edge with benchrest, the differences between a VLD and Hybrid are so small that Ive decided to stick with Hybrids.

Ideally, you want it to hold POI. But, paralax, shooter, position, lighting, temperature, ammo... can cause this.

In any case, you're on the right track. The more tight groups you shoot, the more confident you can be that the results are repeatable.

I will usually prefer accuracy over velocity. It will be nice if you can find both.

Carry on.

-- richard

BowHuntHard:

I have read this article and I am shooting Hybrids which are much less finicy. If someone is shooting a VLD (Tangent Ogive I believe) then they need to jump them, but the Hybrid Design lends itself to any seating depth. This i believe is demonstrated here by me loading rounds to where thye "Looked Good" and then got good results. I did not measure them until i was ready to write the information on the target.

IMO if you are going to shoot anything other than Serious Bench Rest shooting then the Hybrid is good enough. IMO VLD's are only really show an edge with benchrest, the differences between a VLD and Hybrid are so small that Ive decided to stick with Hybrids.

No problem. Initially this was supposed to be a reply for Elktaxi1. Thanks for the reply though.

Good luck.

she is definatly a shooter!!!! I always favor the heavier bullets as long as your not giving up accuracy to get it. Plus with this cartridge you should be over 3000fps even with the 180's. 7-300 is an awesome round and I think it may see a small comeback with all the wildcat-ing going on. good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts