Tikka short mag conundrum

.300 Dakota

I recently grabbed a beautiful Tikka Laminate stainless T3x chambered in .270 WSM. It was an Internet buy, and so I didn't put my hands on it before purchasing. 270 WSM brass is hard to come by and expensive where you happen to find it. I got the rifle, and it's beautiful. And LIGHT! I'm not really recoil shy, but the older I get, the more fragile my shoulder seems to be. I have a 7mm Rem Mag in Sauer 100 wearing German Tupperware that I won't go back in the same room with until it gets restocked with a Boyd's Heritage Monte Carlo after the beating it put on me last range outing. The Tikka is 24.3' on the barrel and has the standard 1:10 twist. Don't get me wrong - I like light, and I like powerful. I don't like evaluating my collarbone for breaks.

I did some looking. Let me back up and say I like the gun. I've wanted the T3x Laminate Stainless for a long time and the price just keeps climbing! Now that I have one... I did some research. We know there are pre-fits and all sorts of stuff for the T3x out there now. I found a couple of prefits: 1 is a satin stainless very much like the factory barrel. Factory contour, 24", but fluted (even lighter) and twisted 1:7.5 and chambered in 6.8 Western. The Western holds roughly 4 grains less powder than the WSM, but will shoot heavier bullets, so any recoil savings with the small powder reduction is negated. This configuration will have MORE recoil! But I've wanted to try the 6.8, just not in a factory gun with factory ammo (Winchester only?). It's a drop-in fit, color matches, and it's a fluted match aftermarket barrel like all the cool kids shoot! No brass available, however. Not sure I'd want it if it were. This would be a situation where I'd perform barrel break-in with 20 rounds of factory ammo and then reload having some decent formed brass onhand. New Winchester bass is bad enough generally, that it needs fire forming anyway. Is the Western on its way out already?? May make my recoil issue worse, but I might put up with it for an uber accurate 6.8 Western!

Option 2: I ran across is an aftermarket match quality barrel chambered in the same .270 WSM. Factory contour. No flutes, solid barrel, but here's the caveats: it's 20" long (lighter), bigger at the muzzle to accommodate a 5/8x24 pitch brake. AHA! Recoil issue solved! Twisted 1:8, so I can shoot most any .277" bullet. So here are my concerns: it's Cerakoted black. I'd have a black barrel and stainless action unless I had the action coated. 2nd, and most importantly, wouldn't cutting 4.3" off the factory length pretty much leave me with the same performance as a standard .270 Win with 24" pipe?? I could shoot a broader range of bullets and the little 20" barrel would be a dream climbing a tree with!

Or C, should I just keep the factory barrel and forget it? Assuming it shoots well and doesn't stomp me like a mad horse. Obviously it would depend on how well the facrory barrel shot, I guess, but I'd be foregoing a few perks.

I guess another option is to keep the factory barrel and get one of the others to switch to depending on terrain and game. Was going to sell the factory tube, but Tikka barrels are the cheapest out there/bring the least money on resale. Even less than Savage. If you didn't know this, it's completely true according to the Gospel of Me. Sold lots of factory barrels!

I'm already geared up to load the WSM. Would need dies for the Western.

So assuming the factory barrel gets about 1 MOA accuracy... which way would you guys go?

As much as the Western intrigues me, I'm leaning toward the short, fast twist WSM with break ability.

Have you shot it yet . If not try it then go from there . I have 1 in a Winchester 70 plastic stock recoil is not bad shooting 130s out of it at 3055 fps. About the same as the 264 win mag shooting 130s at 3100fps but a wood stocked model70. Good luck with brass

Have you shot it yet . If not try it then go from there . I have 1 in a Winchester 70 plastic stock recoil is not bad shooting 130s out of it at 3055 fps. About the same as the 264 win mag shooting 130s at 3100fps but a wood stocked model70. Good luck with brass
Lol, no, that's part of the equation. I've about decided to take the 6.8 Western custom and keep the factory 1:10 WSM for use this year. I'm not going to have time to swap back and forth and do break-in and work-up for 2 more barrels/cartridges. I don't even have Western dies. I'm all set up for the WSM. It being a laminate stock, it may not recoil as badly as I think, but because it isn't a big Monte Carlo design, it will still snap pretty well. I use to like using 110gr TTSXs in a Steyr .270 WSM and run them to around 3600 ft/s.

What I'm eyeballing is the 170 grain Ballistic Tip. I could run that in either 1:8 WSM or 1:7.5 Western. I think the Western would have a decided advantage there, however. Just because the WSM has a fast twist, doesn't mean it has a longer-than-SAAMI throat! The Western would have much more case capacity in that scenario, as thee Ballistic Tip is mostly bearing surface. It would seat half way to the primer pocket in the WSM case. Velocity would suffer. I think the WSM has the advantage for speed in lighter bullets, but the Western would be a better cartridge for any of the long, heavy bullets. Having the capability for both would be awesome! That would give me time to have the 6.8 custom barrel threaded for a brake.

Leave the laminate stock on it and get a limbsaver. The limbsaver makes a big difference. I never thought the 270 wsm tikka was to violent.
The 270 wsm tikka are insanely accurate. I've owned two of them both have been super accurate and my last one was one of the most accurate rifles to medium range I've ever owned ( don't think I shot it past 500 ) I shot 129 Lrx in it at 3400 fps and it would touch 3 shots every time at 200 yards.

Lol, no, that's part of the equation. I've about decided to take the 6.8 Western custom and keep the factory 1:10 WSM for use this year. I'm not going to have time to swap back and forth and do break-in and work-up for 2 more barrels/cartridges. I don't even have Western dies. I'm all set up for the WSM. It being a laminate stock, it may not recoil as badly as I think, but because it isn't a big Monte Carlo design, it will still snap pretty well. I use to like using 110gr TTSXs in a Steyr .270 WSM and run them to around 3600 ft/s.

What I'm eyeballing is the 170 grain Ballistic Tip. I could run that in either 1:8 WSM or 1:7.5 Western. I think the Western would have a decided advantage there, however. Just because the WSM has a fast twist, doesn't mean it has a longer-than-SAAMI throat! The Western would have much more case capacity in that scenario, as thee Ballistic Tip is mostly bearing surface. It would seat half way to the primer pocket in the WSM case. Velocity would suffer. I think the WSM has the advantage for speed in lighter bullets, but the Western would be a better cartridge for any of the long, heavy bullets. Having the capability for both would be awesome! That would give me time to have the 6.8 custom barrel threaded for a brake.
You can always give the 270wsm 1:8 barrel to a smith and have them throat it long.

Had a Tikka t3 in 300 WM. Beat the snot out of my old shoulder. Installed a Limbsaver and that was a noticeable help. Then installed a YHM brake and suppressor and WOW…world of difference! 3 shots in 1 hole! Over 3,200 fps a grain below Barnes max (just checked Barnes website and they have reduced their max to 79.9c! Interesting!)
IMG_0695.jpeg

Should have never sold it to a buddy!
Enjoy your new rifle. I'm certain being a Tikka you can make it work well!

Last edited:
Regarding seating a long bullet deeply into a WSM, don't worry about it. I loaded a 230 Berger into a 300 WSM with magazine constraints of 2.8" in a friend's Browning A-bolt. Using RL-17 worked up a top load which yielded an accurate velocity of 2725 fps.

Should you consider lengthening the throat, it could disrupt smooth feeding requiring an alteration of the feed ramp.

I had a Tikka T3 in 270wsm. I upgraded the stock to a B&C (not really much of an upgrade). The rifle shot great and the recoil was very reasonable. I would shoot it and see. With the laminate stock it is probably a little heavier, which will help with recoil. Bertram usually has brass in stock, but a little pricey.

With the laminated stock that will help for sure with the recoil just make sure you have a Good recoil pad make a Huge difference.

I'll admit. I'm confused.

Ive shot a lot of 300 WSM….in a 12-14lb gun and some 270 WSM in a Tikka T3x lite. Both were fine.., but there is some recoil there. Not 458 lott, but not pleasant.

With a faster twist 270 WSM barrel, you might try lighter mono bullets for better performance and less recoil. I guess the 6.8 Western could do the same.

Then you talk about brass and recoil….which makes me wonder why are we not talking 6.5 PRC or better 7-08.

All the cool kids may not be talking 7-08, but look at the ballistics. In a custom rifle, you could set it up for a lighter Hammer going 3000-3100fps and be thrilled!