Small caliber choice conundrum

I do reload, when time permits.

If I do go with a smaller caliber than 224, it will be 20P as I do have a significant amount of Lake City and miscellaneous brass.

But now 223AI has crept back into the running, fireformimg with loaded ammunition is attractive and I have always had good results hunting our Texas deer with 223

Thank you all for the help! I'll ruminate and order something soon after gathering the other necessary rifle components

Hi all,

I am stuck deciding what to build with an accurized Model Seven action I have on the way. It has a .378 bolt face, and I kind of regret not going with a mag instead but oh well. I also have an accurized 7 in 7-08AI on the way, and am otherwise set in 6.5mm, 7mm, and 308 rifles. Also a .223 barrel for the same action as the 6.5.

So I need to decide what to do with this action.

I don't think I want to build a 300blk or 350 legend. There are a bunch of cheap and decent rifles in those calibers, and they run out of useful range (imo) before accuracy becomes a concern.

I have more than enough .223 / 5.56 rifles as it is. But I also have a bunch of ammunition and components. 223AI is interesting.

I am leaning towards a lighter weight varmint gun in .204 Ruger, 20 Practical or one of the other small caliber rounds.

Any thoughts on the small diameter rounds?
204 ruger is great

Hi all,

I am stuck deciding what to build with an accurized Model Seven action I have on the way. It has a .378 bolt face, and I kind of regret not going with a mag instead but oh well. I also have an accurized 7 in 7-08AI on the way, and am otherwise set in 6.5mm, 7mm, and 308 rifles. Also a .223 barrel for the same action as the 6.5.

So I need to decide what to do with this action.

I don't think I want to build a 300blk or 350 legend. There are a bunch of cheap and decent rifles in those calibers, and they run out of useful range (imo) before accuracy becomes a concern.

I have more than enough .223 / 5.56 rifles as it is. But I also have a bunch of ammunition and components. 223AI is interesting.

I am leaning towards a lighter weight varmint gun in .204 Ruger, 20 Practical or one of the other small caliber rounds.

Any thoughts on the small diameter rounds?
.20 practical is on my distant future to do list

If you aren't bent on warp speed the 221 fireball is super accurate and very little recoi.. I've had 3 at one point and my biggest regret was having to sell 2. I'll never be without a 221 fireball. I have a stash of old 30 grain Berger Varmint bullets that run around 3900fps with lil gun. Also run 40 grain v max between 3400-3600 depending on powder choice. These are in a 22" barrel.

Recent Posts