Caliber Choice

Vulture

Like most other newbies, I've come to this site looking for guidance in pushing my limits in long range shooting. I've lurked for quite a while and searched through lots of old posts. I am interested in setting up a rifle that will be used on deer, and long range practice. I hesitate to "qualify" long range as I have yet to shoot at any distances greater than 400 yds. My current rifle range is 300 yds, and I just learned of another near by range that goes out to 500m. Several years ago I was captain of my University's rifle team. Form, ie. trigger control, breathing, etc. will not be my issue. I see my biggest limiting factor being the wind. With that said, I am currenty looking at various chamberings in 7mm, .300, and .338. What I have not read in the usuall "7 WSM vs. .300 RUM" type of threads is discussion of "wind bucking". Is this because there is little difference, so it is a non-factor? Hypothetical situation, I have a 700 yd shot on a whitetail with a stiff cross wind. Is a 7mm 180g VLD going to be pushed of course more than the .338 300g pill? Thanks.

I just ran some # the 180g 7mm out of a 7mm Dakota at 3000 fps at 700 yards Drop 13.7 MOA 10 mph wind full value 3.4 moa

A 338 laupa imp with a 300g SMK at 2950fps at 700 yards Drop 13.6 MOA same wind 2.8 MOA

another factor is the terminal effect of the bullet. A 300 grain .338 pill is gonna give you a substantial amount more Kenetic energy and Momentum. They hit waaayyyy harder. they also hit your shoulder way harder, but to each there own. a 7mm does the job, the .338 does it with more authority. After 1K is where the .338 really shine.

So in short, there is minimal difference. Thanks for the quick numbers. That confirmed my initial thoughts. It seems from most of my reading, the .338's really come into their own once you get past 1000 yds, and for larger game. Two things that I am not looking to accomplish with my first long range rifle.

So in short, there is minimal difference. Thanks for the quick numbers. That confirmed my initial thoughts. It seems from most of my reading, the .338's really come into their own once you get past 1000 yds, and for larger game. Two things that I am not looking to accomplish with my first long range rifle.

For your FIRST LRR, keep it simple, is my opinion! 7mag/168 or 180 VLD is fine choice. I have 2. 7WSM good choice. Think of availability of brass, and brass forming if you decide to go with something interesting, which usually requires more work.

My 7s have Shilen and Krieger bbls.

If you like 30 cal, I recommend a big RUM and a 210 VLD or similar bullet. 200 AB is a great choice, and so is the 180.

Derek, that's pretty much the opinion I'm starting to form. I've always been interested in .300 RUM because of how it looks on paper. When I first started lurking here, I was set on that with 210g bullets. Then if I really get into this and shoot out the barrel, decide if I want to step up to a .338 EDGE. 7mm mag and .300 WM were never on my radar, because they just didn't seem like that much of a step up from the .30-06's I've always hunted with. The more I read here, the more I'm starting to think that the 7mm that I'm pretty much trying to talk my self out of, may be exactly what I should be looking at. At least I know now that wind deflection probably wont vary significantly between what I'm starting to narrow down to.

One thing I learned in a short amount of time is that the plain old 7 Rem Mag happens to be an easy to load, very accurate, killing machine. So what if it's not "interesting" or "a huge megamagnum." Supplies are EASY to come by and it will serve you WELL for years and when you start getting some LRH under your belt, then you can decide what you want to do from there.

This is not meant to be an add for the Gunwerks rifle on my part but more just the capability of the 7mag at 725 yards on a muley and 743 yards on an elk:

YouTube - Navajo Reservation Deer Hunt 2008

YouTube - long range

Last edited:
If you are just into whitetails a cannon is not necessary but they are nice. When they run into thick cover it is easy to loose them in the southeast. A 338 hole throws out a lot of blood making them much easier to find. Small caliber holes can get covered up by the hide causing no blood trail. I do not hunt whitetails in the southest now with anything less than 338 caliber.

If a big long range gun is your eventual goal just get a 338 RUM. It is the exact same performance as the 338-300 RUM you called edge and the 338 Lapua. All three shoot the 300 smk somewhere between 2750-2850 fps out of a 30" barrel. A fast one in either could hit 2900 fps and a slow one in either may get best accuracy at 2700 fps. The only difference is the 338 RUM is cheap and over the counter. But for whitetails out to 700 yards a 300 RUM would be hard to beat.

But considering you are looking at shooting targets also quite a bit I would get a standard cartridge that is easy and cheap to reload or at the most a wsm.

So in a 7mm are you saying I should go WSM? I know from other posts your an STW fan, which is something I would be considering in a 7. .338 RUM is also something I've strongly been considering, only because I already have various .30 cals, but I'm trying to decide if it's overkill for my intents. Like I wrote earlier, my initial want is a .300 RUM, but am trying to stay open minded and consider 6.5's to .338's.

I'm not. But I did write that it is a great choice. My 1st choice is 7 Rem Mag. 2nd choice would be WSM. 3rd choice would be 7-300 Win Mag.

The 300 RUM is as good as you can do and not look back. Probably the best bean field rifle I did for guys in the southeast was the 264 STW shooting .612 bc bullets 3400 fps. It can be easily shot without a brake and the ballistics are at the top of any cartridge I know of for whitetails. I still have two of those that shoot like a dream. The 7mm STW shoots the same BC bullet at 3300 fps and would be my next choice. The problem with it would be recoil with the 168 grain bullet at 3300 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.