7mm/375 ruger build

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by GCarlton53, Jun 12, 2011.

1. GCarlton53

GCarlton53 Active Member

I am building a 7x375ruger. with a #8 28" bartlien 9.5 twist 5r. I am thinking i will use a Lawton action. Does anyone have experience with this caliber? any suggestions on trigger, stock, rings and scope. looking for a 1000yd max gun. any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Tyler Kemp

Tyler Kemp SPONSOR

The accuracy I have gotten with my Lawton action is excellent, and it feels nice. HOWEVER, one day I took it out shooting and it wouldn't eject a shell. Tried several times, and looked at the bolt face. No ejector there anymore. Lawton responded once, to several requests for service, nothing since then from them. There are plenty of good actions out there, this is just my warning.

The rest of the components should do you just fine, a longer barrel would no doubt increase velocity more if it's not to be a mobile rig.

3. GCarlton53

GCarlton53 Active Member

its gonna be a mobile rifle. gonna try to limit the weight as much as possible. thinking of murphy's titamuim rings and mount, not that it will matter that much. what other action is as affordable as Lawton? anything close

4. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

5. moombaskier

moombaskier Well-Known Member

I had one built using a Stiller TAC 300 action and a 28" Broughton 5.75, 9twist, 5c that I'm just getting broke in. I had Gunwerks do the chamber work, fit the barrel to the action and Cerakote everything. They call it a 7LRM, and they use Hornady 375 Ruger brass that finishes out with a fairly long neck at 2.5" total case length. I started loading at .010 off the lands and 72grs. of H1000 and a 215m gave me 3057fps, 72.5@3088, 73.0@3114, 73.5@3153, 74.0@3187 with no signs of pressure. After shoot and clean for 8 shots I am ready to start shooting some groups at 73grs and working up or down to find the sweet spot.

6. moombaskier

Oh yeah, I'm using a Jewell trigger, Ptg bottom metal, Greybull Precision stock, Seekins Precision rings, and my tried and trusted Bushnell 4200 6-24X50 for load development until I get the funds for a new scope for it or the 7mag I took it from.

7. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Dave Tooley at Tooley Custom Rifles has been working with Hornady and AI on some wildcats off the 375 Ruger.

Dave is chambering a 30-375 (Hornady Super Match is what Hornady calls it) LR pistol for me on his Orion action.

His Orion actions are one of the best especially for the money also.

Lawton I heard is going thru "management realignment" right now.

BH

8. Rocky Mountain

Rocky Mountain Well-Known Member

It sounds very promising:)what bullet were you using to get those velocities ??

9. GCarlton53

GCarlton53 Active Member

73gf of h1000, keep me posted. has anyone tried the Vidi 20N29 powder yet? it is supposed to be slower than h1000. just wondering. I heard the groups out of this round have been great, on some of the other forums.

10. brentc

brentc Well-Known Member

What bullet were you using?

11. moombaskier

180 Berger VLD. I will shoot the first 200yd group on Friday.

12. Tikka Lover

Tikka Lover <strong>Official LRH SPONSOR</strong>

Lawton quoted me an 18 month wait for an action a couple weeks ago............ It took me probably 5-7 emails to get a response. FYI

13. GCarlton53

GCarlton53 Active Member

when i talked to the guy there, he said there was a management change and he wasthe only one there. it would be july before he could take orders. i am gonna call him at the end of the month and see what he says for wait time, you cant run a business with a 18month wait

14. Jon2

Jon2 Well-Known Member

Hi fellas

Very interesting project you have on the go there.

What bolt face is required for this cartridge?

Is it a magnum bolt face same as the .375 H&H?

Thanks

Jon