7mm-08

RandyHenke

With all the debates being started with what caliber and bullet size should I used etc... I'm looking for a new rifle that will be used for hunting and hopefully some long range shooting. I was looking at the 7mm-08 I was thinking I have a few .30 cal rifles and wanted something with a smaller bullet diameter, this rifle will only be used for deer hunting so I'm not looking at the most powerful rifle with extreme knockdown power, I only want something that will get the job done and well. What are your thoughts/opinions on this caliber and for deer hunting how does it stand up. I'm not looking to start an online war with this (insert caliber here) is better or will work better for what your looking at, so lets just keep this calm lol. The rifle I was looking at buying is going to be a savage and I'm not sure on what scope I was going to buy yet so any suggestions for a scope under 400 would also be greatly appreciated. For the scope I want something that I can finger adjust the turrets for windage/elevation and variable power as well. Past experiences with this caliber are also welcome would like to hear what everyone has to say.

7-08 is a proven caliber. I know a few Canadians that use it on moose. I met a native in BC who had a 7-08 he used with Barnes 120s to kill moose. Point being, if it will kill a moose, it will also serve you well for deer.

I know a few hunters who load 150 btips in theirs and have plenty of pics and meat in the freezer.

I don't own one and if I did, I'd try the 150 btip, 140 btip, and 150 scirocco. Also on the menu would be a 168 VLD and 140 TTSX.

Varget, 4064, 414, and 4350 would be my first powder choices. Maybe Reloder 19 as well.

You didn't say how far for hunting but within reason it is a little work horse. The 7-08 gained my respect a few years ago in south Texas. We were sitting on a hill dumping hogs at 450 ish (cull hunt) and the little 7-08 with a 175 SMK put them in the dirt one after another. It did it with less recoil blast and barrel length. A pair of 22" 7-08's can do some derious damage. The 162 A-Max is also a good bullet.

As far as the scope if I was you I would look at the Alpen Apex 6-24x50mm. It has locking target turrets and a ranging type retical. My son just bought one for his 7mm rem mag and payed $240.00 NIB. The glass is awesome for the money. This is just an idea though but I swear by Alpen they have been very good to me.

Jason

I used to use a 30-30, and got pass through's at over a hundred. I upgraded to a 7x57 for a deer/elk/bear gun. And my wife has a 7mm-08 for the same thing. Figuring a 175 7x57/7mm-08 bullet has more energy/velocity at 300 than the 30-30 170 grain did at 100 I don't see how you can go wrong. My wifes rifle has a 2.5x8x36 VX-III and the turrets are finger adjustable after you remove the covers. You can also get the laser-engraved turrets with windage and ranges marked on them. Unfortunately this was the 1st year with these rifles, and we got skunked, I don't have any experience to give. Gina is a little upset with herself now for passing on a little spike buck on day 2 of deer season.

I'll have to look up that scope you suggested, I always like to do some research on stuff before I buy it. From what you were saying its definitely a possibly that I will keep in mind. As far as 30-30 are concerned I like using those for when I'm walking through the woods nice and light plus most have a short barrel which makes for easier shooting through brush. I use hornady's lever revolution bullets for mine. They have a plastic polymer tip that helps shoot a little flatter and helps retain energy at farther distances. They also cost about the same as other 30-30 ammo here in wisconsin. Haven't shot a deer with them yet but they do group really nicely out of my marlin 336.

Thanks for all the replies.

I was using 170 winchester power-points, so it's definitely lagging behind the likes of a 7mm-08. I only brought up the 30-30 to point out that it doesn't take much to harvest a deer. My point was that if you can get a pass through and clean harvest with a 30-30 past 100, a 7mm-08 would easily get you similar performance at least to 400ish with a little over half the powder of the magnums.

Edit:

As an aside I am also just trying to get into shooting at longer ranges. I ended up getting a .308 because that was what I found on sale on a used gun rack. I would have probably chosen a 7mm-08 had one been available, but sense I had just gotten rid of my .300 Magnum I did have some .30 cal bullets on hand. And I figure sense .308/7mm-08 rounds are cheaper to load and easier to shoot, more time could be spent shooting and learning vs. the bigger stuff.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of the 7/08 and can tell you that it will amaze you if it is used for the right
size game.

I, like most hunters have many different rifles and calibers for different uses. From 17 to 50
cal. and they all have there place.

For deer I can find no better round. It has it all for deer size game .

Recoil is very manageable even for recoil shy hunters. accuracy is fantastic and bullet selection
is great.

I have killed deer beyond 500 yards with both pistol and rifle with excellent results (No losses
and very little run distance from POI) with deer falling immediately or less than 20 yards.

With muzzle velocities between 3000 and 3100 with the 120 grain bullets in very short barrels
(18 to 22") they offer the perfect combination of trajectory and knockdown power.

There have been many 1000 yard matches won with the 7/08 and with the right bullet it will
take just about anything you want to hunt with it. But I think it is best suited for deer out to
600 yards and in.

Heavy bullets may not perform as well because of the velocity at POI on game but at long
range targets I recomend the 168 SMKs.

The powders I like and use are H414 and Varget.

The primers I have the best luck with are the CCi BR2s.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.