7mm/08 or .270wsm

Jason

Hello, I am currently considering purchasing a Tikka T3 lite in either 7mm/08 or .270wsm for my hunting to replace my Howa .25/06 (a bit too heavy). I will be fitting a Weaver grand slam 3.5-10x40 scope. I have spent a few (Too many!) hours studying ballistic charts etc. I will be using the rifle on Red deer and hopefully Tahr (I live in NZ) maybe Elk at a later stage but not often. As I see it there is little difference in the trajectorys out to 300yds or so. I have been easing my way into long range hunting with my .25/06, plenty of rabbits and goats to practice on here. Would a .270wsm offer any practical advantages out to say 450yds maximum. Most of the animals I shoot would be under 250lbs weight. I am considering the Tikka as I walk and climb plenty and like the weight of those rifles and the reasonable price over here. The 7mm/08 interests me as they are popular here and of course plenty of bullets to choose from. Any advice would be appreciated.

I think your 25-06 is plenty for animals up to 250 lbs out to 500 yards. Use a 115g btip or partition, or the 110g ab and you would have no problems. However, if you still want to purchase a new rifle, I would go with the 270 wsm, its a magnum compared to the 25-06, the 7/08 would have little performance on the 25-06. The little 25-06 just flat out kills to 500 yards on deer size animals, put the bullet in the shoulders and watch them fall over. The same can be said for the other 2 cartridges, but you already have a cartridge that is fully capable of what your asking. If elk is in the equation though, the 270 wsm again would get my vote. the 140g AB at 3200-3300fps is a tough combo to beat for deer/elk out to 700 yards.

i have a 25-06 and a 270wsm. i just got the 25-06 so i can not comment on its killing power but i can on the WSM. i shoot exactly what remington has announced, 140 accubonds at 3250 FSP flat kills em! awesome caliber!
Casey

If quality ammo and/or reloading supplies for the 270wsm are readily available where you are, it may be a better choice for your intended use.

If not, I'd take the 7mm-08. The 7mm-08 is a time tested and proven cartridge that is sure to be around for a long time. Ammo and supplies are easy to find.

I would go with the 7mm/08. For 450yards max on the animals you mentioned it fits the bill quite nicely. With the short barrel on the T3 lite the advantage of the 270wsm would not be fully utilized anyway, kindive a waste of powder. The tikka is a nice rifle, it should be a good setup for you.

Jason, I like the ballistics (velocity) on the 270WSM when looking at the 130 grain bullet! However, if you look at the 7mm mag caliber, you will see it is another 100fps or better faster in the velocity department. It gives you more bullets to choose from and is far faster than the 7mm-08 at 2870fps with a 140grn bullet. It is indeed a charter member of the long range magnums, for taking big game at long ranges, with power equal to the hammer of Thor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I shoot a 25-06 and use the 120 grain premium bullet at 3100fps out of a 26 inch barrel. I don't believe there is any difference in killing power on big game up to 300 pounds between it and the .270WSM caliber using the 130 or 140 bullet.

If you really want to go a step up, I would opt for the 7mm mag as it will handle those 140 grain bullets at close to 3350fps with handloads. Hornady's reloading manual says 3400fps with a 139 grain bullet. I have never been able to get that speed. They give 3500fps with using a 120 grain bullet as well in the Hornady manual.

I also live in New Zealand and looking a at a tikka t3 lite in 7mm-08 not to mention that i spend way to much time on the internet looking a ballistic charts. but im mainly intending to use it for shooting goats a 500m +/- but intend to get to 1000 yards (my goal).

my question is how far are "140 grain sierra splizer boat tail soft point" good for
because the barrel on a tikka t3 (7mm08) is only 20" long but retains it supersonic to almost 1000 yards

note: I am going to be hand loading them so i have a range of velocity

Lot's of good advice and I would add another cartrige if ammo wasn't a problem.

The 7-08 is a great cartrige and easy to load, Lot's of bullets to chose from and capable
of outstanding accuracy at great distance.

So with all things being easy to buy the 7-08 would be my first choice.

There are a lot of rounds that will produce more velocity but most are in long actions and
need a longer barrel to achieve there potential.

I have a 7-08, 7-08x40, 7 WSM, (All on short actions) 7 Rem Mag, 7 STW, & a 7 Rem Ultra
Mag and they all have a place in my safe forever.

I have killed more animals with the 7-08 than any other rifle in my safe and it has never
let me down.

I select the rifle to hunt with based on Size,toughness,terrain to be hunted and distance
(I carry the rifle best suited for the game and conditions) and most cases the 7-08 will
be my first choice.

Most of my personal rifles are heavy barrels#5s+ but the 7-08 has a 20" barrel and with
the short action it is a very handy and accurate rifle.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

I think the are both great rounds but I have to agree with the poster that said you are not going to reach the potential of of the 270WSM. I know it's lighter but if you go with the 20" you will wish you had a 22". I have a 22" on my remington mountain rifle and I can't wait to replace it with a 24".

Go with the 270wsm you have more options on what you can hunt. This caliber is a harvester.

my choice would be 7mm08. I like shooting a lot of ammo and I like the recoil of this weapon. I've owned many different calibers over the years and this is as easy of weapon I've ever had the pleasure of shooting. I will just add to shoot both weapons if you have the option before buying, choose the one that you like best, they both will do the job.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.