7mm-08 bullets/loads

aythya

My 14 year old daughter drew two limited draw black bear hunts this spring in Washington and Idaho (0.3% odds). Both areas are spot and stalk only. She has been hunting with a .243 but I wanted a heavier bullet on bears. I just bought her a stainless Savage Weather Warrior in 7mm-08, Talley bases and rings, and topped with a Zeiss Conquest 3X9 40mm scope.

Over the next 5 weeks I need to work up some hand loads or find a good factory cartridge. Any experience and recommendation on the 7mm-08 loads would be appreciated.

I loaded up some 7-08 loads for my buddies 12 year old son last gun season (whitetails). I kept them very light, around 2600fps book. They were very manageable recoil-wise, and very accurate (probably related!). Both charges below were loaded with 140gr barnes TTSX and 140gr nosler accubonds.

IMR 4350 - 43.0 gr. Book 2600fps (max is 48gr, 2850fps)

Varget - 37.5 gr. Book 2600fps. (Max is 41.5gr, 2800fps)

Good luck with that 0.3% black bear. Hope she gets s chance to hang a tag on one!

i shoot the 145 grain Barnes LRX out of my 7mm-08 with H4895, sub MOA and work great on deer but dont know how they work on bear (my guess is really good). If you want i can check the charge weight for you.

i shoot the 145 grain Barnes LRX out of my 7mm-08 with H4895, sub MOA and work great on deer but dont know how they work on bear (my guess is really good). If you want i can check the charge weight for you.

I'd be interested in your load. What is the benefit of the LRX?

Much higher BC, .412 for the 140 TTSX and .486 for the 145 LRX, also, the LRX expands down to 1600 fps and the 140 grain TTSX down to 1800 fps, i plan on testing the low velocity expansion of the 168 grain LRX this summer but have LOTS of other bullets to test so i will see if i can get around to it. COAL of 2.870 to fit mag, 40 grains of H4895 (max was 41.5 grains in my gun ), nosler brass, win large rifle primers. varmintH8R, i will send you a pm.

I know that heaver bullets are more popular but in the 7/08 the 120s work better because of velocity.

The recoil is reduced also.

My favorite load with the 120 ballistic tip is 49.5 grs of H 414 and CCi BR2 primers. this is my most
accurate load also (.053 5 shot @ 100 yards) It can be reduced from 3010 ft/sec to 2800 ft/sec and
still not give up much performance.

I have had excellent results with them beyond 500 yard on deer.

Varget is also another excellent powder for the 120 bullet in the 7/08.

In the lighter rifles like the Model 7 the 120s are very manageable for youths and recoil sensitive
shooters without giving up stopping power.

J E CUSTOM

I've done the same thing as J E Custom but went the Varget route. My 11yr old son graduated from the youth .243 to a 7mm-08 this year. Loaded 120gr bullets with 42.5 grains Varget and CCI LR primers. Shot .650 five shot group at 100 yards with minimal recoil. He said it wasn't much more than his .243. He's only taken whitetail with it, but it has performed great. Good Luck!

How far is your furthest expected shots on this bear hunt? That's a major factor in bullet selection. For bears your going to want penetration. If it were me I'd go with a Barnes bullet. I've never tried the LRX lineup but now I'll have to give it a go.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.