.308 or 7mm-08 advice

HMD,
I got this from accurate shooter:
If you are looking for a 6.5 in a factory gun here you go.
It is a step up from the 260 Rem. I have three of them myself.

August 9, 2007

Savage 6.5-284 F-Classer Is Shipping

Filed under: Gear Review, News — Editor @ 11 am
The new Savage Arms Precision Target F-Class Rifle, chambered in 6.5-284 Norma, is now reaching dealers and distributions. Brian Herrick, Savage Marketing Director, told us on 8/8/2007: "The first units have shipped and we expect full production flow by the end of August." The F-Class rifle, shown below, has a gray laminated stock with a 3″-wide ventilated forend, and 30″ extra-heavy barrel. The stock is straight from the base of the grip back to the buttplate with a flat on the bottom. It is currently available in Right Bolt, Right Port, but Savage might ship Right Bolt, Left Port versions in the future if there is sufficient demand. MSRP on the 6.5-284 Savage F-Classer is $1,211, with "real world" selling prices just under $1000.00.
savagefrifle1x350.jpg

savagefnew1x350.jpg

savagefrifle2x350.jpg

The production version of the 6.5-284 rifle features the new triple-pillar Precision Target Action (RB/RP) with a "match" Accutrigger that adjusts from about 6 ounces to 2.5 pounds. The F-Class rifle is currently chambered only in 6.5-284, but Savage may consider other chamberings in the future.

Wow thats a fine looking factory stick their !!

About getting a 260 from the factory , its not gonna be easy as it never realy cough on but its now gaining popularity so it may get chambered in some varmint rigs one day.

Right now on the Go Go varmint board their is a Stevens 200 action with a B&C duramaxx stock for sale for $300 which is a good deal , add a good barrel from either Sharp shooters supply (douglas barrel) or Pac-Nor in the caliber you want and you'll be in buisness for around $600 , I personaly would replace the factopry trigger with the unit from Sharp Shooters Supply and also their recoil lug that'll add another $100 and I'd be willing to bet a good penny that this gun will outshoot any out of the box Remington Varmint rifle as I have seen several guns built in this same manner shoot in the .3's consistantly and a 6mmBR that would shoot into the low.2's !!!

You could spend a little more money on a better barrel from Hart , Broughton ,Kreiger or Lilja and have it fitted like the Rem is with the shoulder and eliminate the barrel nut but then it woulden't be as easy to change claibers if you wanted.

NOTE : the Stevens action is the same as the Savage except that the
Savages have the accu-rigger

ill reccomend the savage to as much as like my remingtons .because i like to work on my own rifles i been leaning to the savages alot more lately and out of the box there hard to beat for accuracy .im putting a 12BVSS in 308 in a joel russo A5L stock

JIM

Let me clarify:
i don't have three Savage rifles or any centerfire rifles for that matter.
My 6.5-284's are in specialty handguns. A 6.5-284 in a specialty handgun will give me approximately 260 Rem rifle performance.

Think I'm going to try the 7mm-08, although those .30 cal lapua bullets sure looked like a lot of fun to handload. Guess I'll be sticking to hornady's for awhile longer.

Now just to see how much I can get on a trade in for my Kimber 10mm :D

Thanks guys!

HokieMattDude
Now that your head is spinning in every direction let me spin it again
Have you looked at the 6mmbr? I just run some ## against the 7mm08 and the 6mmbr, and at 500yds the 6br is flatter than the 7mm08. Check out the 6mmbr web site and take a look. The 6br is a pleasure to shoot and I'm not knocking the 7mm08 cause I have 2 of them and love em but for pleasureable shooting I'd go 6br. Spin Spin Spin

Run the numbers on the 7-08 using the 162gr A-Max and pushing it a little over 2700fps. This is what I'm loading right now in my 7-08 that LSR built for me. Easily outperforms the 308 and hangs very well with the 260s, with just a little more energy on target. The 260 is a fine cartridge and seems to have a great following these days, but the 7-08 is definitely right there with it. Just not as popular for target shooting.

Two comments, first you need a sufficiently fast twist on the 260 rem in order to handle the high bc bullets, the 140s. I think you want a 1:9 twist for those. Talking about power, lets remember it is a 308 case necked down to 6.5mm. At long distances, the high bc bullets start to really shine retaining energy compared to the 30 cal 308 bullets. It is plenty powerful.

Also, the plain old 243 shooting the 115 grain bullets is a perfectly good target 1000 yard round.

For fun

As a long range plinking rd, my top choices are the 6 BR and its improved wildcats, or the 260 reg/AI. I presently shoot the 6.5 Mystic which is my version of the 260AI pushing 139gr Lapuas to 2900fps. A very accurate long range combo that mimics the 6.5-284 with far less throat wear. My rifles wear 8 twist pipes.

No issue going to 1000m and further.

The 6BR is a wonderful easy to shoot tack driving cartridge. With 87gr Vmax, I had no issue popping clay pigeons out to 850yds even in strongish winds. You just need to learn to hold off. Reached 3200fps in a 27" pipe.

With the 105gr Amax and other higher BC bullets, will reduce wind drift and improve impact energy. No issue hitting your size of targets at the distance you wish to go. Very long barrel life.

A fast twist 223 and 75/80gr Amax would do everything a 308 would do for less money and recoil. 8 twist is great. The factory 9 twist from Savage/Stevens will stabilize the 75gr Amax just fine.

The 7-08 is very nice but case is a smidge small for optimum performance. More recoil when compared to the 6.5's too. Way better option then the 308 ballistically.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.