7mm-08 the forgotten 6.5 Creed Killer?

I have 2 7-08s and 3 6.5 CMs, they are 2 of my favorite 3 cartridges (6.5x284 the other), if their is an advantage to either it would be the heavier bullet option for the 7-08 but that also comes with more recoil. In the 140gr class, the 6.5 CM is a tough to beat combination of light recoil, high retained down range energy/speed, and sectional density. I love both cartridges and I'm not trying to sound like a 6.5 CM band wagoner. Both are great deer cartridges.
WELL SAID

Quick question from the uninform, me! Could I get an upper for my AR-10 and shoot 7-08? That might be fun!
Same reason why I won't be building a 7-08 upper.
Built a 7/08 upper. I like it more than my LR308. Don't like the hand guard (Aero M5E), but love the gun. To give an example, in 308, Winchester 147gr FJMBT would be considered the "cover fire" ammo, and 1.5 MOA accuracy is considered adequate.
I would say the Hornady 139gr Interlock would be an equivalent bullet, and once I found a load using N135, I was consistently 1moa.

Powders not obtaining enough velocity with pressure signs: IMR4166 Enduron
I've read that in other threads. I picked up 6lbs of it earlier this year - I hope I'm not disappointed.

Too Soon ?
Nah - lots of "scope creep" in the thread, but good info being shared.

I'm just astonished the older technology 7mm-08 got so overlooked.
I currently have a thirties-era Oberndorf with period-correct Dural-Dialytin 4X scope in claw mounts. I have not tried to develop a load for it, as it is worth more to me in its original condition than with a new barrel and scope. I also have a Venezuelan Mauser that I put a new stock and scope on, but have not yet started load development for. I really should re-barrel it before working a load, and if I do that I will probably build it in 7-08 with a fast twist for monos.

I recognize the 7X57 can't compete with more modern cartridges and loads, and I recognize that commercial loads are not at full power because the quality of some older actions is an unknown. But I was just interested in hearing why 73driver singled out the 7X57 for his comment.

BTW, I also have a 7 RM that I used with great satisfaction for plains game in the early seventies in East Africa. If I still lived there, I would probably replace it with a 7-08 or short magnum, but I have a warm spot in my heart for the 7X57, and especially for those by Oberndorf.
The OP was comparing and wondering about the 7-08 vs 6.5C & I was just pointing out a very similar comparison the 6.5X55 vs the 7X57. The 6.5X55 is the more popular of the two, why? I do not know why, it just is and the 6.5C is just more popular than the 7-08, it just is. Does not mean you can't like your 7mm's but the 6.5's are just more popular.

HOW IN THE HE-double hockey sticks have I missed this thread and how does it already have ten pages!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Yes the 7-08 is better than the 6.5 man bun.....

Almost soaked my laptop in coffee LOL.

The 6.5CM is like a Whiteclaw, well that what my wife said this past weekend. I went to get us some drinks at the grocery store and she asked to get her the 6.5 Creedmoor of drinks, I just busted out laughing. She shoots a 7mm-08 by the way.

7-08 my second favorite 7 to 280ai. Would never want to pick one over the other.
Still waiting on my Feirce 7-08. 9 months now.multiple inquiries ignored. I am going to have to love that gun to forgive this bad of service.
It took months for me to get my Fierce 7-08. It is almost too light. Next to nothing in resistance while holding it. It loves the 120 Hammer Hunters though. 5 shot group less than 1" at 200yds.

The 7mm-08 will surprise you as, a serious, Elk or, Moose, Cartridge using, the 168 grain, H-VLD Berger's, W/ a near Max load of, StaBall !
My son is getting, 2,765 FPS out of his 22.4" Tikka with, this Load and at around 400 yards or so, IT, "catches up" to my .270 WSM for, Killing Power,.. WHO,.. KNEW ??
Yes, he has to "Dial" a few more Clicks on his Scope than, I do but, I was thoroughly impressed when, we shot, L R Steel Targets, together !
The recoil, is pretty stout, in his 7.5 Pound Rifle but, it's an, AMAZING, Hard hitting, Round with, THIS Load !
Plug 2,765 FPS and this Bullet ( .618 G-1 BC ), into Berger's "Calculator" to be, IMPRESSED with, the 500, 600, and 700 Yard Velocities and the "Retained, Energy" at, 5,500 ft. Elev. where we Hunt Elk. He shot, a Nice 5x6 Bull at 247 yards with, a 150 grain Horn ELD-X Bullet but, was NOT impressed with it's performance on that, Elk ( it took, a "Follow up" shot ) so he wanted, a New, more "Explosive" and heavier, Bullet.
I'd NEVER feel, under gunned with, the 7mm-08 IF, loaded,.. properly.
Speaking of slaying elk w/ the 7mm08... Here is one my son smacked with his at just over 400yds. We used a 140 accubond.

Attachments

• PXL_20211016_160857922.jpg
    PXL_20211016_160857922.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
This is awesome!

I told her once about rhe 6.5 CM and how it comes with a man bun and less recoil, etc. And once we were at a grocery store maybe a year or more ago, and she asked me what are those (whiteclaws) and I answered they weren't here 6.5 CM of drinks and she laughed. Asked me if I would try one, and I replied, do you see me buying a CM and she laughed. I found out a couple of days ago she didn't forget that comment.

Quick question from the uninform, me! Could I get an upper for my AR-10 and shoot 7-08? That might be fun!
Its the same cartridge as the .308 or 7.62 nato, just necked down to .284 cal, so probably you could. You just have to find someone who's making AR10 barrels in that caliber. You shouldn't have to change anything on the lower.

My first rifle was a 7 Rem Mag, my hunting situation changed and when I took a deer at 10 yds with the mag, I sold it and replaced it with a 7/08. dropped a lot of deer with it. my new hunting place allows shots to 200 yds and the 6.5 Rem mag with a 125 partition gives me that same performance of DRT, and out of a model 7 Handy. at 2900 fps second a creed could nearly duplicate it.

I have a dpms upper in 7-08. It's a 20"fluted, if I remember correctly it is a 9 twist..not positive. what I do know it is amazingly accurate. I will never part with it.
EDIT..the rifle is a Remington R-25. My bad!

Last edited:

Recent Posts