thoughts on the 7MM-08

I load 140gr TTSX, SST, A-Max in my 7-08 with no accuracy issues. I also load 154gr Interbond bullets. Depending on what I'm hunting determines what I load.
Other than minor sight in adjustments. My rifle handles those loads without a loss of performance and accuracy.

Since you have a good assortment of rifles the 7-08 is a good choice. I suggest you give the 6.5 Creedmoor serious consideration. It out performs the 308 and the 7-08 due to its high ballistics bullet choices.

Gonzo

6.5 interesting caliber
How does this compare to say a 25-06 as far as trajectory, recoil, what is the barrel life like? (is this one of those barrel burners that is shot out after 1000 rounds)
Im guessing its real close to a 308?
Who makes this in a factory gun?
retiredcpo

How hard is it to neck brass down
what does that do to the brass life?
I have been reloading for several years but never done anything like that.
retiredcpo

Go to:
www.accurateshooter.com/tactical/6.5creedmoor-for-tactical-competition

The 6.5 Creedmoor was a joint effort by Hornady and Creedmoor Sport to develop a long range caliber that was both accurate with moderate recoil and long barrel life. Based on the results it's a successful venture.

The 6.5 is a 308 necked down. It's built on a short action.

Creedmoor Sport has bullets and brass as well as Hornady. So MidwayUSA should have dies, bullets, brass and loaded ammo.

Goodluck

Gonzo

Go to:
www.accurateshooter.com/tactical/6.5creedmoor-for-tactical-competition

The 6.5 Creedmoor was a joint effort by Hornady and Creedmoor Sport to develop a long range caliber that was both accurate with moderate recoil and long barrel life. Based on the results it's a successful venture.

The 6.5 is a 308 necked down. It's built on a short action.

Creedmoor Sport has bullets and brass as well as Hornady. So MidwayUSA should have dies, bullets, brass and loaded ammo.

Goodluck

Gonzo

The 308 necked down to 6.5mm is a 260Rem

Trebark,

You need to do some homework.

Gonzo

Hmmmm....the 260 was originally called the 6.5-08 A-Square, wonder why?

260Rem... (although this link says Creedmoor, it does go to the 260Rem page)

Gunczar.com 6.5mm Creedmoor History and Information (notice on this page that it specifically names the parent case....308)

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.260remington.html

.260 Remington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6.5mm Creedmoor...

Gunczar.com 6.5mm Creedmoor History and Information

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2007/11/hornady-introduces-new-65-creedmoor-cartridge/

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Trebak,

GOOD JOB! I"ve also read the same information. The 260 Rem has been around for along time. The 308 parent cartridge has and continues to be the starting point of many wildcats and I believe they all have merit.

I'm impressed that you kept your cool and followed through with a comprehensive response. I apologize if I spin you up. At 65 and a Disabled Veteran I enjoy these exchanges of knowledge with gentlemen like yourself.

This Forum has helped me and allot of other people. More importantly it's helping new up and coming shooters and hunters.

I also have more rifles than my wife thinks I should have. But surprise I'm building a new rifle as we exchange our thoughts and experience.

Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

Trebak,

GOOD JOB! I"ve also read the same information. The 260 Rem has been around for along time. The 308 parent cartridge has and continues to be the starting point of many wildcats and I believe they all have merit.

I'm impressed that you kept your cool and followed through with a comprehensive response. I apologize if I spin you up. At 65 and a Disabled Veteran I enjoy these exchanges of knowledge with gentlemen like yourself.

This Forum has helped me and allot of other people. More importantly it's helping new up and coming shooters and hunters.

I also have more rifles than my wife thinks I should have. But surprise I'm building a new rifle as we exchange our thoughts and experience.

Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS

First off, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY! It is because of folks like you that forums like this exist!

Second, thank you also for not taking my response personally. I always worry that the written word does not convey the true sentiment.

Trebak,

3 Combat Tours in Vietnam with the U. S. Marine Corps 4/1965-66-67. Infantry/Recon/Sarrowhawk Recovery Team. I grew up hunting and learning from my Dad, uncles, and friends. It's what helped get me survive and stay focused in country.

Like yourself I share my experience with the mindset that if it can help someone else get past the hiccups it save's allot of headaches.

Thank you,
Robert W. Gonzales
Sergeant of Marines (ret.)
SEMPER FIDELIS

Well this sure has been informative,interesting and fun.
GonZo
thanks for your service. I am not as old but I too am a Disabled vet 22yrs with three trips the sand lot.
I am liking the 6.5 idea but having hard time finding a factory gun in it. Ruger has one but I dont like the fact you cant get a MOA base for the rugers
The 25-06 I am having to replace is really my daughters I shoot while she is away at collage I really like that round but want something alittle differant
Might have to consider a custom build
retiredcpo