6.5 SAUM, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08

HoytSniper60x

I'm starting to gather parts for a new hunting long range hunting rifle, however I am torn on caliber. I'm down to the 6.5CM, 6.5 SAUM, and 7mm-08. I still want a rifle that is easy to shoot since I'm sure it will be ringing steel more than a few weekends out of the year. What have been your experiences mainly with accuracy and recoil. My goal is to keep everything between 9 and 10 lb with scope.
Thanks!

6.5 Creed is a great round where factory ammo is available and would be a good choice for intermediate to some degree of long range. The 6.5 SAUM would be a much better choice for extended ranges since it will sail a 140 grain projectile over 3K fps, however you will have to "roll your own". I would not consider the 7mm-08 in my opinion since the other two are much better choices, however that is just me.

It starts with a bullet suiting your hunting.
If 123-130gr bullets meet this, go 6.5x47L.
If you need 140gr bullets, go 260AI.
You can use Lapua brass and have good barrel life with both.
None of your already considered cartridges beat these overall.

6.5 Creedmoor.... I own 3
long barrel life
high BC bullets for long range
Lightest recoil of the 3
Good factory match ammo that won't break the bank

7-08......had one long ago before the high BC bullets came out
Long barrel life
Higher BC bullets then the 6.5 for long range work
Recoil still light
Need to reload to get the high BC bullet benefit

I would lean toward the 6.5 Creedmoor or 7-08 If it's more steel then hunting because of the longer barrel life

6.5 SAUM, never owned one but I would lean towards the 6.5 gap 4s.
It has very good barrel life but brass is $$$, from everything I read.
I would lean toward this if it's more a long range hunting rifle and less steel

It starts with a bullet suiting your hunting.
If 123-130gr bullets meet this, go 6.5x47L.
If you need 140gr bullets, go 260AI.
You can use Lapua brass and have good barrel life with both.
None of your already considered cartridges beat these overall.

Why would you choose a 6.5x47 over a Creedmoor for 123-130gr bullets? I'm getting ready to build a couple of Creedmoors but I could change my mind if there is a good reason.

I'm starting to gather parts for a new hunting long range hunting rifle, however I am torn on caliber. I'm down to the 6.5CM, 6.5 SAUM, and 7mm-08. I still want a rifle that is easy to shoot since I'm sure it will be ringing steel more than a few weekends out of the year. What have been your experiences mainly with accuracy and recoil. My goal is to keep everything between 9 and 10 lb with scope.
Thanks!

How far are you planning to shoot game with this rifle? If we're talking deer sized game then the 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor will max out at about 700-800 yards if you still want to hold 1000 ftlbs of energy but this is also depending on what load and bullet you shoot. If it's mainly a hunting rifle then I'd definitely go with something bigger. I'd look into the 6.5 ss if your wanting a short action 6.5 that packs some punch.

Why would you choose a 6.5x47 over a Creedmoor for 123-130gr bullets? I'm getting ready to build a couple of Creedmoors but I could change my mind if there is a good reason.

The only thing the X47 had over the creedmoor was the excellent lapua brass. Now that they make Creedmoor brass it's a moot point. The plus side of the Creedmoor is the factory ammo if you don't reload and a bit more capacity.

The 6.5 Saum is a pooch with a 26 inch barrel. The thing so so accurate it's not even funny feels the same as a 260 R.E.M. It's hard for me to say it without smiling but it's the truth. My rig is 15 lbs tho. And I have a mad scientist muzzle brake on it. The thing is ridiculous. Use RL26 and let er rip.

I'm not a big fan of the 6.5s for long range hunting. I know there are plenty of people that use them successfully but I like something in .270 or 7mm for a deer gun. For elk its .30 or .338. It sounds like you're set on a short action so I'd recommend the 7mm SAUM. This can be loaded down to 7mm-08 levels with 120-140 grain bullets for a very mild recoiling target gun. Or you can stoke it up with 150-180 grain bullets for a hard-hitting hunting rifle. I would do a 24" barrel with Mini-Magnum Muscle Brake.

I have no idea why Lapua would put a new case in their lineup that competes with one of their own existing(competing with themselves).
But more capacity is not better than right capacity.

There is load choice competitors(who are competitive) venture towards that most hunters don't. That is, a mid velocity node at the highest viable pressure(a pressure node). This goes into diminished returns, -which are also diminished in variance. Competitors care more about precision than most hunters, and diminished variance is more important than final muzzle velocity for paper targets.
The 6.5x47L was designed for this, for 123-130gr bullets, for mid range competition. It's results were predictable up front & now out there for anyone to see. While used for 1kyd competition also, it wasn't designed for that. It wasn't designed for 140gr+ bullets.
The Creedmoor is not best designed for any of this.

Much of this comes down to my opinion that accuracy is the most powerful of ballistic attributes.
Another belief of mine: it all starts with a bullet.
So if 130gr bullets will suit your need, it makes perfect sense to go for all the accuracy you can get in 130gr bullets.
Best in 140gr bullets would lead to a different capacity/cartridge. It might make sense to go for best accuracy you can get in 140gr bullets.

I have no idea why Lapua would put a new case in their lineup that competes with one of their own existing(competing with themselves).

It has to be because of the Creedmoors popularity and the projected sales of the Creedmoor case, profit. I wouldn't be surprised if the Creedmoor case outsells the 6.5 x 47 by 1000:1.

My decision boiled down to available components at the time. I picked up a Stiller Predator SA with a mag bolt face in the classifieds and asked my smith to recommend a dbm. He sent me a pic of a seekins dbm attached to a McMillan edge fill and a Christiansen carbon fiber barrel with their titanium brake.... it was in 6.5 and in stock. My new 6.5 gap4s should be done in a couple weeks. Ordered Whidden dies and 100 Hornady brass from Ryan Pierce( Piercision rifles) it was here 2 days later. Brass is about 1.60 each. The 6.5 gap guys I've talked to have loved them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.