700 sps 300 win mag loads

nicholasw89

Hey guys. Been reading a long time but this my first post. I'm going on my first rifle elk hunt in October in colored. Been going black powder for years with great success. My rifle I will be taking is a Remington model 700 sps stainless in a 300 win mag. Factory everything. 26" barrel with 1in10 twist. Im currently using hornady brass, h4350 at 69 grains, and a hornady 165sst. It shoots pretty good to 400 yards. I only use it on whitetail in missouri with awesome results. Now I need an elk load. I have ample amounts of reloder22, reloader25, H1000, Retumbo, and H4831sc. I also have a new box of berger 210 hunting and a new box of nosler 210 lrab. And I have all hornady brass. Question is how would I figure out where to start with my reloading to find a great load with out doing full work ups with every powder and bullet combo. Any short cuts to this? Sorry for the long post guys. It wouldn't be a problem if all items were readily available without waiting months for something.

I have a 700 in 300 Win Mag as well. I have had great success with Berger 210s and 215s accuracy wise. I use H1000 primarily,but H4831SC works well also. There are great post about these loads and there success on Elk and other game. Good Luck on your hunt.

Jay

I have used 4831sc, RE-22, and H1000. The 4831sc was the slowest and least accurate of the three. RE-22 was the fastest with the best accuracy. Actually my best load for RE-22 was to Hot. So long story shot I now use H-1000. I use 72.0gr, 190 Berger's, and I am getting 3005 fps. But I am using RWS brass. This brass has less capacity and wind up using 2-3 gr less than Fed. H-1000 also gave me more consistent speeds than RE-22.

Yeah I know a lot of people have good success with H1000. I just may go with H1000 and see what bullet shoot best out of my gun. I'm only looking for accuracy to 500 yard. Not comfortable past that.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.