300 win mag loads

Long Time Long Ranger

Need loads for 150 grain bullets in a 24 5/8" barrel. I am still using accuracy loads I developed with my first 300 win mag 40 years ago in 1970. IMR 4350 with the 150 grain bullets at 3450 fps. I haven't tried any of the newer powders with it so wondered if I was missing out on anything or if 4350 is still one of the best. RE-19 looks like a good one on paper to me. If anybody has some screamer loads with this combo let me know. Thinking about using this one on my dall sheep hunt. Scoped out it weighs 7.2 pounds so it is high on the list of suspects right now for the hunt.

Need loads for 150 grain bullets in a 24 5/8" barrel. I am still using accuracy loads I developed with my first 300 win mag 40 years ago in 1970. IMR 4350 with the 150 grain bullets at 3450 fps. I haven't tried any of the newer powders with it so wondered if I was missing out on anything or if 4350 is still one of the best. RE-19 looks like a good one on paper to me. If anybody has some screamer loads with this combo let me know. Thinking about using this one on my dall sheep hunt. Scoped out it weighs 7.2 pounds so it is high on the list of suspects right now for the hunt.

Shocking.....I thought you were the ONE that always had THE answer to tell every one else.....
forget the 150's buy some 210 VLD Bergers and H1000
UB

UncleB, I don't know anything, I just figure if I hang around here long enough I will learn something. Any 150 would be fine Fitch. I am going to try to get the etips or ttsx to fly straight for this hunt but I will go with what shoots best.

I had less than stellar results with the Etips I tried,in an extremley acurate 300 of mine,and freinds have also gotten poor results with them in different rifles,but I can reccomend the 168 gr. TTSX they shoot great with RL 22 ,H4831sc and IMR 4831!

Any 150 would be fine Fitch. I am going to try to get the etips or ttsx to fly straight for this hunt but I will go with what shoots best.

I'd second a recommendation for the 150g TTSX bullets. My gunsmith buddy won't hunt deer with anything but TTSX bullets. Says if they aren't DRT they only take about 2 steps and fall over. I'm working on loads for the 150g TTSX bullets for both my 7mm mag and my .30-06 to use on deer this fall.

If I had a .300 WM I'd be working on a load for them in that too.

Fitch

I had good results with the 150 grain sierra game kings and H4350 out of a 26" tube, 1 in 10 twist. Killed several deer and hogs with them, no problems. They shot sub moa all day long, the 180's just shoot a little bit better in my rifle.

gun)hi guys I am new to rifle loads. I have loaded shotshells for a long time. My ? is I have a rem. 710 300 win mag. when I went to my local gun shop and baught the dies powder etc. I asked a good friend of mine and long time local reloading ledgend what would be a good load to start with? he said very quickly 76gr. of imr 4350 with the nosler 150gr. balistic silvertip. I came home and worked my brass and set up my dies and loaded 3 rounds just like he said. But due to the weather I havent shot them yet to see how they group. But I got to looking at the book and I noticed his load is way over the top of my book. I guess what I am asking is what others think should I shoot them or not???????

I would start low and work up.
It's not recommended practice to start high.
Especially over max.
Lots of factors can lead to very high pressures which will be hazardous to your health.
Look at the book and pick a starting charge there.
Work up and watch for pressure signs as you do.
Take your time and be careful.

gun)hi guys I am new to rifle loads. I have loaded shotshells for a long time. My ? is I have a rem. 710 300 win mag. when I went to my local gun shop and baught the dies powder etc. I asked a good friend of mine and long time local reloading ledgend what would be a good load to start with? he said very quickly 76gr. of imr 4350 with the nosler 150gr. balistic silvertip. I came home and worked my brass and set up my dies and loaded 3 rounds just like he said. But due to the weather I havent shot them yet to see how they group. But I got to looking at the book and I noticed his load is way over the top of my book. I guess what I am asking is what others think should I shoot them or not???????

A word of caution: Never quote a load from your head (Especially if your old like me) and never load
rounds that someone quoted to you without checking it out first.

Even though it may work in there rifle , there is no guarantee that they wont be to hot for your rifle.

I would load some with less powder. Start with one round in the middle of the loads listed and load
one each with more powder (.5 grains at a time) until you reach the load he recomended.

As you shoot them , look for signs of pressure and stop when they are present.

It may well be a very good load for his rifle but it could also be a misquote and dangerous.

J E CUSTOM

LTLR, I would really encourage you to try the 165gr Hornady GMX. I have had amazing results in my 300rum and with the 139gr GMX my dads 7mm rem mag. Both rifles using IMR4350. Terminal performance is devistating. We have both takin deer at 200-300yards with them. Complete pass throughs with wound cavitation that looked like that of a howitzer. Excellent bullets. And fouling is minimal.

Last edited:
A word of caution: Never quote a load from your head (Especially if your old like me) and never load rounds that someone quoted to you without checking it out first.
And take lots of detailed notes, I didn't and regret it. At the time I could keep it in my head. What I didn't forget I usually remember wrong. If I had kept notes I could answer the original question.

Only have one with Re-19 under the Nosler 150 partion Fed 215M primers Win cases best load was 76.6 grains out of a 24" tube velocity averaged at 3215 fps not a screaming fast load but put 3 into 3/8" consistantly at 100 yards. I do not shoot this load anymore in 300 as I prefer 200's in the 300 now days. Nothing ever shot with this load ever knew what hit them. I have no doubts you can get more speed with RE-19 with accuracy. If it was me I would look at the 150 AB with the above I like ab's a great big bunch. I would yack about case prep and on and on, but from being a member here for a long while and reading may of your posts I have no doubt that you have forgotten more about loading long range ammo and shooting long range than I will ever know.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.