7 SAUM advice

There's a 40 page thread on nonsense ethics but Alex got crucified the last time he tried to explain to people what a spine shot was

Well the author of the shot is not on his first long range hunt. And experience has thought him to aim a bit higher at long distance. Calling that a poor shot is a bit far fetched when the outcome is rather good. specially on a smaller size deer and in scrubby bush where a double lungs shot ( or a wounding) could have meant hours of tracking with maybe an animal not recovered. But feel free to discuss ethics with the author if you want as it is a no no subject on here. Here is a link : https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz/f17/video-lr-deer-i-shot-recent-trip-76468/
I'll call it high all day every day. I do not care who did it or who they are. As a community we really need to start being honest and quit covering for each other. A long shot is no different than a short one. Just dont bs me. Long range hunting is very similar to target shooting. A missed shot may end up with a good outcome but it has an equal chance to end up with a poor one. The out come does not describe the shot the execution does. Im hard on us because no one seems to be and we should be as a community if we want to keep on. Theres nothing wrong with what we do but it should be done right. No ethics, just fact.

Last edited:
I'll call it high all day every day. I do not care who did it or who they are. As a community we really need to start being honest and quit covering for each other. A long shot is no different than a shot one. Just dont bs me.

Let's go ahead and stop derailing the OPs thread on his 7saum build. Not nearly enough info in that short clip for you to start condeming people and calling shots in the manner you are.

Let's go ahead and stop derailing the OPs thread on his 7saum build. Not nearly enough info in that short clip for you to start condeming people and calling shots in the manner you are.
Im not condemning anyone. Trust me, I dont think Im perfect. But we need to stop putting up videos of obviously bad shots and acting like they are good. Hunters need to recognize a bad shot so they can stop doing it and also quickly correct it if it happens. Recognizing a bad shot will get that second shot down range quicker than celebrating will.

But your right. Back to 7 saum.

My latest runs 180 hybrids out of a 26" 5r Bartlien at 2925 fps
57 gn, H4350
.012 off the lands with 180 hybrids
.004 neck tension with no turn adg brass
br2 primers.
1 3/4" on average at 600 yds from an 8lb rifle.
However I have also had ones shoot 180 Vlds at the same speed with H1000 and Fed 215s.
Have customers running the 175 ABLR at similar speeds with rl23.
Its a good round for sure, but not forgiving enough to run a random load in.

Last edited:
Unknown munitions. I have some 250 ATips loaded in 300 PRC to fireform for my 30 Sherman since I couldn't find components. And it shoots tiny groups. It's expensive, but worth it if you don't reload. Also, it sounds like you won't have time to shoot much so no worry about running out of ammo. Get 200 rounds and that will probably last quite some time.

So, I finally pulled the trigger and after shooting factory rifles for years I am having my dream gun built by APR. It is going to be 22" barreled 7SAUM throated for the 180 Bergers. And here is the catch, I do not reload. (I know, I know. I would love to but have a full time university job and two young kids. So, what I do not have is time). But considering that 7 SAUM ammo over the counter is equivalent to unobtainium, I would like to have either rounds purchased or maybe some components gathered I can send out to a reloader so I would have ammo by the time the gun is ready (2022 January or so I am told)
Please let me know how I should proceed. I would be super disappointed receiving the rifle and not having ammo to shoot....
Thank you, Ferenc
Why not 7mm WSM? Still you are going to have to reload. Just get a cheap LEE 50th anniversary set.

I would have built a 7wsm but brass was non-existent for it where the saum has adg and Norma.

Now I find out adg is making limited runs of wsm brass. Oh well, the saum will do all I need and is known for ease of tuning and stupid accuracy.

So, I finally pulled the trigger and after shooting factory rifles for years I am having my dream gun built by APR. It is going to be 22" barreled 7SAUM throated for the 180 Bergers. And here is the catch, I do not reload. (I know, I know. I would love to but have a full time university job and two young kids. So, what I do not have is time). But considering that 7 SAUM ammo over the counter is equivalent to unobtainium, I would like to have either rounds purchased or maybe some components gathered I can send out to a reloader so I would have ammo by the time the gun is ready (2022 January or so I am told)
Please let me know how I should proceed. I would be super disappointed receiving the rifle and not having ammo to shoot....
Thank you, Ferenc
Great choice, I have a 7 SAUM shooting 180 bergers and it's a perfect setup. Shoots lights out. I get my ammo from Unknown Munitions like many others have mentioned. Gunwerks also has them, except for COVID, but are a little more expensive. Excellent build, have fun.