7 SAUM advice

Thank you for the advice, here is the newbie question of the day. Where would I look for 7SAUM brass? How many should I buy? 50 perhaps?

I know the guy that does the load work there and he knows what he's doing. But no one can work miracles. You have to tune the rifle. If your gonna throw a random load at it, just buy a factory rifle the custom will never perform to its ability without the right load. In all honesty, a custom is a waste of money if you do not reload. A custom still shoots terribly with the wrong load. A factory rifle and a reloading kit would be a better investment.

Disagree with this somewhat. A custom rifle can remove many variables that cause accuracy issues with factory rifles and can provide a better niche or fit for someone's needs, and extended their effective hunting range. I'm not a gunsmith and I'm aware that you are. From my limited experience with 8-9 fully custom rifles they offer a much better opportunity of shooting great to excellent with factory ammo. Exponentially better than most off the rack factory rifles to the extent that it would take considerably more effort to handload for a factory rifle and produce better results than running factory ammo in a custom rifle. Two quick examples on either end of the spectrum, both APR rifles- a 22/250ai which shot 15rds of factory Hornady 22/250 under 1" at 100 yards fireforming and a 338RUM (sub 9lbs) that I ran Barnes LRX factory ammo within the first 10 rounds, got my zero and then ran 1 moa steel out to 800 yards. Possible with a factory rifle and handloads, maybe but with tons of effort.

I do agree that it doesn't replace load development and testing if you want to absolutely maximize the potential from a custom rifle. And you will certainly learn a valuable skillset with a reloading kit. With that skill comes a considerable amount of time, effort, and cost. Which not everyone has the ability to put in depending where they are in life. Before kids and my current job I had plenty of time to reload and daily access to a range. Now, with two kids and my current job and location my range time is severely limited and time to reload is nearly non-existent except for runs of established loads. So this is why places like Custom Reloads of Dallas and Unknown Munitions among other exist.

Plenty of cartidges have well known nodes or starting points that can be tested and deviated from slightly to more quickly fine tune for a specific rifle and a rifleman who isn't going to invest $$$ in reloading kit can still perform adequate with load tests built by an ammo manufacturer.

Some broad generalizations, I know, but wanted to offer a counterpoint.

Thank you for the advice, here is the newbie question of the day. Where would I look for 7SAUM brass? How many should I buy? 50 perhaps?

Unknown is showing components are sold out-- best thing is to put email notifications in at a bunch of online shops and buy as soon as it pops-- get at least 100

Disagree with this somewhat. A custom rifle can remove many variables that cause accuracy issues with factory rifles and can provide a better niche or fit for someone's needs, and extended their effective hunting range. I'm not a gunsmith and I'm aware that you are. From my limited experience with 8-9 fully custom rifles they offer a much better opportunity of shooting great to excellent with factory ammo. Exponentially better than most off the rack factory rifles to the extent that it would take considerably more effort to handload for a factory rifle and produce better results than running factory ammo in a custom rifle. Two quick examples on either end of the spectrum, both APR rifles- a 22/250ai which shot 15rds of factory Hornady 22/250 under 1" at 100 yards fireforming and a 338RUM (sub 9lbs) that I ran Barnes LRX factory ammo within the first 10 rounds, got my zero and then ran 1 moa steel out to 800 yards. Possible with a factory rifle and handloads, maybe but with tons of effort.

I do agree that it doesn't replace load development and testing if you want to absolutely maximize the potential from a custom rifle. And you will certainly learn a valuable skillset with a reloading kit. With that skill comes a considerable amount of time, effort, and cost. Which not everyone has the ability to put in depending where they are in life. Before kids and my current job I had plenty of time to reload and daily access to a range. Now, with two kids and my current job and location my range time is severely limited and time to reload is nearly non-existent except for runs of established loads. So this is why places like Custom Reloads of Dallas and Unknown Munitions among other exist.

Plenty of cartidges have well known nodes or starting points that can be tested and deviated from slightly to more quickly fine tune for a specific rifle and a rifleman who isn't going to invest $$$ in reloading kit can still perform adequate with load tests built by an ammo manufacturer.

Some broad generalizations, I know, but wanted to offer a counterpoint.
There are many factory rifles that can shoot 1 moa or so with factory ammo. I can make a custom shoot 2 moa with the wrong load. Either way there is luck involved, the more you can control things the better. Custom rifles with tuned loads offer the most control. But if I had to choose between a custom with factory ammo or a factory rifle with tuned ammo Id go with the latter. Yes I am a gunsmith, but note Im not promoting the custom which is how I make a living. I am giving my honest opinion if you have a limited budget or time.

Alright if it's not too late I would strongly suggest changing to 280ai. In a 22" barrel you'll get about the same ballistics and way easier to find. You might when you price the reloads at unknown munitions! Expensive!!!!

When available I would get a minimum of 100, or 150 if you can so you don't have to worry about it down the road.

ADG is what I would get and you can contact @North Idaho Hunter here and he can help you with that. I believe there will some available soon.

There are many factory rifles that can shoot 1 moa or so with factory ammo. I can make a custom shoot 2 moa with the wrong load. Either way there is luck involved, the more you can control things the better. Custom rifles with tuned loads offer the most control. But if I had to choose between a custom with factory ammo or a factory rifle with tuned ammo Id go with the latter. Yes I am a gunsmith, but note Im not promoting the custom which is how I make a living. I am giving my honest opinion if you have a limited budget or time.
This is great advice. I agree that I too would rather have a factory rifle with tuned handloads than a custom rifle with factory ammo.

Just because you have 100 pieces of brass doesn't mean you will end up with 100 loaded cartridges.
Some brass will have defects direct from the manufacturer (maybe 6-7%) Your reloader pal may make a few mistakes like trimming a case too short, trimming a neck wall too thin so you might lose a few there as well.
While testing a load you may overpressure a case that you don't want to use again. Defects may show themselves after the first firing.
I suggest 150 - 200 pieces of brass.
Bullets (projectiles) have their issues as well with about a 5% loss.
Hope this helps.

Custom Reloads of Dallas is another place to get high quality loaded ammo....I just ordered some from them for my 28 Nosler that I don't have time to work up a load for.

I would try calling the custom ammo shops like Unknown. Their website shows everything out of stock, but they probably have stuff trickling in that fills orders and never makes it to "in stock" online.
And you can ask APR if they will give you the freebore of the chamber they're doing for you, and that will help the ammo people know where to start.

For the OP- I live here in Dallas and have been an APR customer for 4 years and 4 rifles-- they are addicting! Robert, one of the owners was also the spotter for the team that just won King (now Queen) of Two Miles.

If you have not yet, make sure you call the shop and discuss action length and freebore as @SammySTW stated. They have the SAAMI reamer and a longer option as well. I went SA and SAAMI.

Also- as some guys have pointed out, Chad, of Custom Reloads of Dallas has a good sized business down here and has been growing. I've used his ammo in a number of cartridges ( .308, 6.5cm, 300bo, 10mm) and had really good results. He does do load development and would likely be able to receive your rifle from APR and get it rolling.