7 SAUM advice

I recently had a 7 SAUM built and the the free bore is 0.177, attached is the load data that I use. Grains of powder (Retumbo), Berger 180 Gr Hybrid, Olgive to Base, COAL, and velocity, this is out of 7.5 twist 26" Bartlein Carbon Fiber barrel. I found the brass at Powder Valley and Natchez shooter supply. Hope this helps and it is a tack driver, no picks at 700 yds but if its a calm day it will group about 4.5" at 700 yds, and if a real shooter did it I'm sure it would be even tighter.

Attachments

• 7MM SUAM DATA.jpg
    7MM SUAM DATA.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 141
Look the way I see it is, the 7 RSAUM is a great little cartridge, as for how much brass to buy question, grab as much as you can. As for reloading, you know you can get into reloading "one cartridge" pretty darn cheaply these days and turn out some very good hunting ammo, reloading would save you a lot of money, by the time you have someone reload for you or get lucky enough to find something on the store shelves that might work, and buy enough to make you happy you are into some buck$... I'd think as much or more than some of the basic reloading equipment out there, whereas the basic reloading game gives you what you want pretty much when you want them. Just my 0.2 Good Luck.

I recently had a 7 SAUM built and the the free bore is 0.177, attached is the load data that I use. Grains of powder (Retumbo), Berger 180 Gr Hybrid, Olgive to Base, COAL, and velocity, this is out of 7.5 twist 26" Bartlein Carbon Fiber barrel. I found the brass at Powder Valley and Natchez shooter supply. Hope this helps and it is a tack driver, no picks at 700 yds but if its a calm day it will group about 4.5" at 700 yds, and if a real shooter did it I'm sure it would be even tighter.
I almost forgot this based on a long action 700 Rem, if you go short action these cartridges will not fit in your magazine

I saw some Nosler factory ammo here in gun shop in nz in 7 saum, but with Nosler partitions. So I would contact Nosler to see what they have as well. If they still make some. When I was looking for brass, none of the 7mm stuff was available, but 300 saum was easy to find , so I got 200 cases and ran them through my full length die and everything has been working very well in a factory remington 7.

Dang I like those numbers.

Mine will be built with the .195 FB and a LA. If I can get similar performance from H1k that should put me in the mid 2800 from a 21 inch barrel.

Last edited:
Dang I like those numbers.

Mine will be built with the .177FB and a LA. If I can get similar performance from H1k that should put me in the mid 2800 from a 21 inch barrel.

Me and 3 shooting buddies of mine all shoot 7 saums. All on short actions and all Berger 180s. 3 of us are running 26" tubes and one a 22". With rl26 the three 26" barrels are getting around 2950-3000fps and the 22" is sitting right at 2850 if I remember right. Yes they're seated deeper but all still run those speeds with relative ease

As for brass ADG has been the best and when it's available I always grab a couple boxes. If I run it really hot ive gotten 7-8 firings on a case. That's pushing the 180 vld to 3010fps range with a short action. With that load I'll get clickers If I go past 8 firings

Thank you for all the insights. My rifle is being built on an intermediate action with 0.195 freebore. Maybe somebody has some starting recipes?
Thank you!
Ferenc

Call all of the custom ammo shops, somebody will have what you need, or have it soon enough to make something before your gun is finished

Just for a tease:

I saw that, I m not related to the author or the shooter

Any time you see the back legs suck up into the belly or a drop like that its a spine hit. Thats an accident. No one aims for the spine. Makes for good video to the inexperienced. But is a great example of why you dont shoot beyond your ability to those that know what they are looking at. We need a thread on identifying a good hit, this is a great example of a poor one. If youve ever heard about the animal that drops "dead" but when you get to it its still dragging its hind legs or its gone, you know why the spine/high shoulder shots are inhumane and no better than a gut shot.

Well the author of the shot is not on his first long range hunt. And experience has thought him to aim a bit higher at long distance. Calling that a poor shot is a bit far fetched when the outcome is rather good. specially on a smaller size deer and in scrubby bush where a double lungs shot ( or a wounding) could have meant hours of tracking with maybe an animal not recovered. But feel free to discuss ethics with the author if you want as it is a no no subject on here. Here is a link : https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz/f17/video-lr-deer-i-shot-recent-trip-76468/

There are many factory rifles that can shoot 1 moa or so with factory ammo. I can make a custom shoot 2 moa with the wrong load. Either way there is luck involved, the more you can control things the better. Custom rifles with tuned loads offer the most control. But if I had to choose between a custom with factory ammo or a factory rifle with tuned ammo Id go with the latter. Yes I am a gunsmith, but note Im not promoting the custom which is how I make a living. I am giving my honest opinion if you have a limited budget or time.
Alex I appreciate your honest insight about factory versus custom.