7 mag loading questions

I think I might have found my overall problem. The load he gave me was
68.0 reloader 25
215m
Hornady brass
162 Amax about 0.05 jump.
There is no pressure when he loads it.
I have flattened primers but no other signs of pressure but my extreme spread is 50+. I went through my old records and I had to quit using these primers in my 300RUM and my 45-110 because the accuracy was all over the place. Has anyone heard of the problem before? Could it be an excessively hot lot of primers, or is it most likely the reloader 25. I have every powder listed so that's not a problem. I can't find nosler or Norma brass. I have changed dies to Forster micrometer and neck dies. (I have had great luck with them)
I have the following primers
215s use for 300 RUM
215m (primer in question)
Wlrm
210m
Cci br-2

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but this thing has given me fits. But my smith has shot it multiple times getting getting 1/4 out of it and mine is a shotgun pattern. I pulled out my 22-250 thinking it was me 5 shot group .09. Then my 300 RUM no break .358. So it was not me, I don't think.

Currently I'm testing,
Rem700 LR 7 mag
Fed gm215m
Imr7828 regular -68grn
168vld hunting.
To my lands is 2.740 from base to ogive. I tested a few lengths ranging from 2.730 to like 2.660 . I am testing at 300 yards . 1-2 lengths of First test showed potential but my powder amount was low at 64 grn when I first started. I came home, reloaded, went to shoot n couldn't close the bolt on all but 1 of my rounds. My collet was hung up and I never noticed my shoulders were "off" . Came back home started over sorta and tested 68 and 69 grains loaded at 2.715 2.660,2.690, conditions on the only day i could go weren't favorable, but 2.690 shot ok.. when I was first testing 64 grains with the length 2.730 shot a hell of a group at 300 yards. I did not try 2.730 again with 68 grains but did try a few at 2.715 at 68 grain, it wasn't the worst group for 300 but it wasn't best... kinda hard to read some these targets due to conditions, myself, . So now I loaded 18 rounds at 68 grain length is the 2.690 I'm hoping there accurate. Velocity according to the chrono at 68 grains is approx 2850 or 2950 I'd havta look again the 69 grain put me around 3050.

FWIW; another reference point..... 26" bbl 9.5 twist
last year my 7mm RM was giving me some trouble getting consistent groups. tried hornady 154, 162 and 175gr hunting bullets. no luck after working up loads with i4350 i7828 rl 22, rl 25, rl26. as a note, rl26 was always faster. 175 gr didnt shoot well at all; the twist rate of my bbl is too slow for them.

Primers; im using the 215 primers for larger columns of powder... like 85gr in a 300 wby. didnt see any need for that kind of ignition for a 7mm. some guys are using LR primers with 7mm RM; had a few bricks of wlrm laying around, so statrted working up loads with them. as a sidebar; might try a few loads later as an experiment with LR primers just to see what happens.

Seating Length, was reading on this forum that one user was using longer jumps and getting good groups with 162 amax/eldm. bought some 162 target bullets and loaded with rl22, rl26 with different jumps. rl22 had better groups.
.09 seemed to be the sweet spot, then tried rl23 and the groups were a little more consistent and a little smaller.

right now, using 162 eldm .09 jump, (rifle didnt like seating close to the lands, having trouble getting the 162 eldx to group from .05 to .1 jump in my rile). eldm is much better shooting with this load:
wlrm, 64gr rl 23
nosler brass, neck sized
last group in the 100yd test was 3 shots in 1 hole, other groups were .3-.4"; all under .5". Next step is to stretch this one out to longer range to see how it goes; haven't gotten there yet.
avg velocity=2977 fps, low es
would consider this load for hunting anything with antlers.
maybe something here will help....... good luck with your search.

Last edited:
I think I might have found my overall problem. The load he gave me was
68.0 reloader 25
215m
Hornady brass
162 Amax about 0.05 jump.
There is no pressure when he loads it.
I have flattened primers but no other signs of pressure but my extreme spread is 50+. I went through my old records and I had to quit using these primers in my 300RUM and my 45-110 because the accuracy was all over the place. Has anyone heard of the problem before? Could it be an excessively hot lot of primers, or is it most likely the reloader 25. I have every powder listed so that's not a problem. I can't find nosler or Norma brass. I have changed dies to Forster micrometer and neck dies. (I have had great luck with them)
I have the following primers
215s use for 300 RUM
215m (primer in question)
Wlrm
210m
Cci br-2

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but this thing has given me fits. But my smith has shot it multiple times getting getting 1/4 out of it and mine is a shotgun pattern. I pulled out my 22-250 thinking it was me 5 shot group .09. Then my 300 RUM no break .358. So it was not me, I don't think.

When you say your gunsmith gets no signs of pressure when he fires this load, is he firing it in your rifle? If not, then his recipe means nothing for your rifle. If yes, then it sounds like your loading technique / procedure / components could be the issue. It may be worth your time to go watch your gunsmith load some rounds and discuss his steps and techniques so you can repeat his exact process. Also, go with him to shoot some groups and verify the .25 moa performance.

I just got a brick of wlrm and 100 cci 250. Built me a new bench with my Redding ultra mag on left side and Forster co ax on the other plenty of different powder ready. Will probably load a ladder tonight.

Yes my smith shot it with both stocks I put on it. I started with hogue aluminum bedded until my McMillan came in. He loaded his load up shot got under 1/2 5 shot inch one day said he was shaking that day shot it again the next day and got .25 5 shot. He sent me 5 rounds home so I would have something to use until I figured out the problem.

I'm going to ditch the hornady for right now work with the bergers and I will revisit the hornadys later. I want to test the 215m but I can't find any around here and don't want to buy 1000 to test.

I'm planning on trying h1000 and 7828 maybe 4831 as well. Just have to start over.

Try this one. This has been the best load I found for my 7mag. It also shoots 180 bergers quite well, but nothing like this. 0.292" end to end of the group @100m
fullsizeoutput_1f78_zpsbrgfwhdg.jpeg
IMG_3778_zpsqfe0waor.jpg

I will look into the sst as well but I have the brass prepped and ready to load tonight assuming I can get my 3 year old to sleep. I have berger 175 elite hunter and 180 hybrids to try.

H1000 or retumbo is my powders of choice to use. But retumbo might be a little slow to give a good extreme spread. But then again it might be the kicker. Definitely should fill the case.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts