Anyone loading 7/300 Wby Mag?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Colby, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Colby

Colby Active Member

I have a 7/300 Wby mag with a 30" Hart, that was smithed by Howard Wolfe and have a very good load worked up with IMR 7828ssc and 168 Sierras, but am trying out some 168 Bergers.

I am just interested if anyone has a 7/300 and what loads you have found work well?

Thanks in advance,
    Colby

2. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

Colby~

Send yobuck a PM and he'll be able to give you all the info you need.
    He has a few 7/300's smithed by Howard Wolfe.

3. Colby

Colby Active Member

Thanks for the lead Joel!

4. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

These are more popular than I ever knew. My dad has one done by Mr. Wolfe too.

I'm pretty sure he has his for sale if anyone is looking for one.

5. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

I have shot a 7mm-300 wby for about 35 years. When 7828 came out it made this one shine. Several powders now in that range work well but still my best accuracy/velocity loads are with 7828. This is an exceptional long range cartridge. With the introduction of the 7STW as a standard cartridge I think the 7-300 lost popularity but I still favor my 7-300 wby. I really think weatherby screwed the pooch on this one not making it available in the mk 5 rifle when it was hot about 30 years ago.

6. GNERGY

GNERGY Guest

I also have one with a Hart 28 in. barrel that was put together by Pete at Cleveland Custom Gun back in 1972 for me. I haven't shot it in a while, I 'll have to get my load data out to see what loads I was using.
    I built one because it had the PA. 1000 yd. bench rest record back then.
    I was also using the 168gr Sierras. I loaded some NBT before I moved to Az but didn't get to finish my testing. When I dig out my loading manuals I'll post what I had.
    Tarey