WSM loading questions.

ol mike

I'm getting a 7mm wsm and have read [shortmags site] that the wsm brass needs to be full length resized.Is this true ?

Also generally speaking will the 162gr A-Max do better into the lands or off the lands? Thanks Mike

I F/L size my 7mm WSM brass to make sure the necks are round, most of them are not round right out of the bag.
I also shoot the 162 A-MAX, they are seated .005" off the lands.
I tried them into the lands .010" and out to .025" off and .005" off was the best but each rifle/barrel is different.
I would start just touching and go from there.
JMHO,
Wayne aka WAMBO

After an initial full-length size and length trim on new brass, I just neck size for my 300WSM, and have had no problems.

I think i misunderstood what you were asking about full length resizing.
I do F/L resize all the cartridges I load for, I feel that it helps in the chambering of the cartridges and make them all uniform.
I don't know if you HAVE to F/L size the WSM's but it does work best for me.
Wayne aka WAMBO

Thanks for the help guys.
Maybe i got on the wrong page w/the shortmags guys because f/l resizing after each firing made no sense to me.

The short mag cases are pretty thick and tough. You can get alot more "spring back" after sizing than the good old 30-06 or 308. Be aware of this. I'd recomend having the stoney point headspace bushing kit as a great helper for reloading. The 7 wsm I reloaded for had such thick necks because it was factory cases with crimping marks I had really really tight case mouth dimensions after resizing.
(Like .276"). I plunged them over the expander ball a couple of times and they stay at .280...but still seat the bullet hard.
Just be aware that you are dealing with a "tougher" case than most people are used to and look for dimensions that might not be totally expected.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.