WSM loading questions.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ol mike, Nov 14, 2006.

1. ol mike

ol mike Well-Known Member

I'm getting a 7mm wsm and have read [shortmags site] that the wsm brass needs to be full length resized.Is this true ?

Also generally speaking will the 162gr A-Max do better into the lands or off the lands? Thanks Mike

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I F/L size my 7mm WSM brass to make sure the necks are round, most of them are not round right out of the bag.
    I also shoot the 162 A-MAX, they are seated .005" off the lands.
    I tried them into the lands .010" and out to .025" off and .005" off was the best but each rifle/barrel is different.
    I would start just touching and go from there.
    JMHO,
    Wayne aka WAMBO

3. Geezer

Geezer Well-Known Member

After an initial full-length size and length trim on new brass, I just neck size for my 300WSM, and have had no problems.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I think i misunderstood what you were asking about full length resizing.
    I do F/L resize all the cartridges I load for, I feel that it helps in the chambering of the cartridges and make them all uniform.
    I don't know if you HAVE to F/L size the WSM's but it does work best for me.
    Wayne aka WAMBO

5. ol mike

ol mike Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help guys.
    Maybe i got on the wrong page w/the shortmags guys because f/l resizing after each firing made no sense to me.

6. kraky

kraky Well-Known Member

The short mag cases are pretty thick and tough. You can get alot more "spring back" after sizing than the good old 30-06 or 308. Be aware of this. I'd recomend having the stoney point headspace bushing kit as a great helper for reloading. The 7 wsm I reloaded for had such thick necks because it was factory cases with crimping marks I had really really tight case mouth dimensions after resizing.
    (Like .276"). I plunged them over the expander ball a couple of times and they stay at .280...but still seat the bullet hard.
    Just be aware that you are dealing with a "tougher" case than most people are used to and look for dimensions that might not be totally expected.