Questions regarding loading to mag length

fireroad

In my haste to find the perfect load for a newer rifle I plan on long range shooting with, I made a rookie mistake and designed/tested loads based on distance from the lands and not magazine ID. When developing loads for a cartridge that is the same length as your action (SA cartridge in a SA action) is there a specific method that folks follow? I'm assuming that there is some rule of thumb for difference between mag ID and max coal, increments of COAL or ogive to test...or am I making this too complicated and just load to the max COAL that will work in the mag and instead work with different bullet/powder/primer combo's to increase accuracy? Thanks in advance.

"...is there a specific method that folks follow? I'm assuming that there is some rule of thumb for difference between mag ID and max coal, .."

Well, you know it won't work to have the OAL longer than the magazine. If it's the same length as the magazine it will likely still bind. Thus, the rule, such as it is, is seat short enough to feed without binding in your magazine. And it really doesn't matter how well your ammo may fit in other people's rifles, does it?

I understand you wish a clear set of rules but, other than that there are no rules, everyone is free to do as they wish.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.