7/08AI or 6.5 Creedmore

I agree with most things said here and you'll really can't go wrong. Here are a few more considerations.

There are plenty of high BC 7mm bullets that outshine the 6.5s.

I would go to a mid length or long action if you want to get the most out of heavy/high bc bullets in a 308 based case. Otherwise, you run into mag length issues before you reach the cartridge's potential. I have run into this with my 260AI.

I think this is the real upside of the shorter, fatter creed. It is really close to the stock 260 in capacity, but you lose less because you don't to seat the bullets as deep.

I am also skeptical about how much harder the 7-08AI would be on barrels. Sure its burning more powder, but you're also pushing the gas through a larger diameter bore. Plus I have always heard that the AI's steep shoulder angle keeps the vortex (?) in the case neck versus the throat. I do not have data to support this last paragraph, maybe someone else does.

You can always make the 7/08 act like the crudmore but not vice versa..this is easy, the standard 7/08 all day everyday....put a 140 grain partition or x-bullet and she's ready for anything..have fun.

This. A standard 7mm/08 is very similar ballistically to a 6.5 creedmore but you can get heavier bullets in the 7mm/08. 7mm/08 may kick slightly more than a 6.5 creedmore, so creedmores are preferred for target's where you don't need a choice of heavier bullets and you are firing lots of bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.