7-08 or 284win

7mm is 1 of very few calibers I don't have under 33cal. Being able to use either cartridge in an AR platform has me thinking I might get a 7mm? The 284 gives me more velocity, but the 7-08 saves a little powder. If I were to shoot anything it would be swine of the get the hell out of my crops! I don't hunt deer or any other larger animals. I always feel the need for speed, but what would be the benefits between the 2 and downfalls? Brass in both I can find, but haven't checked on dies. Is either offered in srp?
I didn't read all the follow up post, but if you are running an AR 10 Platform go with a 7MM08 since it is the same as a 308, 260, 243,. You will have issues with a 284 Winchester since it is a Rebated Cartridge and should be used in Med to long actions depending on the bullet. Am not saying that you can't do it, but don't do it!!!
The 7mm08 is a great cartridge if you want a 7MM. If I had an AR10 and wanted to go with a 308 size cartridge, I would go with a .260 or .243 to get the velocity in a shorter barrel and lighter bullet with better BC.!

I didn't read all the follow up post, but if you are running an AR 10 Platform go with a 7MM08 since it is the same as a 308, 260, 243,. You will have issues with a 284 Winchester since it is a Rebated Cartridge and should be used in Med to long actions depending on the bullet. Am not saying that you can't do it, but don't do it!!!
The 7mm08 is a great cartridge if you want a 7MM. If I had an AR10 and wanted to go with a 308 size cartridge, I would go with a .260 or .243 to get the velocity in a shorter barrel and lighter bullet with better BC.!
I didn't think about that. Just like 22n and problems many have complained about. Mainly ejction issues (so I've heard). That helps make and easier decision on not to use 284win in AR's (for me anyway).

7mm is 1 of very few calibers I don't have under 33cal. Being able to use either cartridge in an AR platform has me thinking I might get a 7mm? The 284 gives me more velocity, but the 7-08 saves a little powder. If I were to shoot anything it would be swine of the get the hell out of my crops! I don't hunt deer or any other larger animals. I always feel the need for speed, but what would be the benefits between the 2 and downfalls? Brass in both I can find, but haven't checked on dies. Is either offered in srp?
Go with the 7x08, just love mine, it's set up on a mauser action .33/40 sweet shooter and dead on. I shoot Berger or Hornady, in HPBT or B tipped. they never run off.

Agree. For hogs with 120gr Ballistic Tips, fast and deadly.

There are so many bullets you can use with this cartridge, you can't go wrong with it.

If they can shoehorn a 7 Mag/300 Win Mag in an AR, 284 would be a cake walk.

No need for an adjustable gas block, contact Slash/Heavy Buffers and tell them what you want, they will be able to help you make the dream a reality function wise
AFE212E7-AEFD-46D3-AB9F-5DFEA1F35D82.png

APF makes them also and in Nosler cartridges too. In an auto I'd rather have beltless mags. If the next round to be chambered belt is forward of the cartridge below it, then as not to continuously rub the belts. Just my opinion/thoughts. APF uses single stack, but mag cap is lower (bummer). POF at 1 time offered 300wm which was cool!

284, its just an inherently accurate cartridge. Hard to make mine shoot bad. I used a long action and can seat to any length needed. Ive used 7RM, 7x57, 7x57AI, and 284. 284 is the only 7mm left in the safe and will be with me till death.