7-08 or 7-08 ackley velos?

tbrown9124

lightbulbi have had both and want to build a 20" barreled gun to shoot 168gr bergers or wildcat rbbt's anyway i was just anting to know if any of you guys have experience with these bullets in std length bbls i have a 22" and 24" version but they were built for 140's anyway any help with accuracy obtained or velocities would be of great help i think it would make one hell of all purpose rifle myself.

lightbulbi have had both and want to build a 20" barreled gun to shoot 168gr bergers or wildcat rbbt's anyway i was just anting to know if any of you guys have experience with these bullets in std length bbls i have a 22" and 24" version but they were built for 140's anyway any help with accuracy obtained or velocities would be of great help i think it would make one hell of all purpose rifle myself.

I prefer short heavy barrels for the 7/08 or 308 case and a 20" # 6 or 7 taper is all of that.

They handle well and are very forgiving and extremely accurate.

With 160 or 168 gr bullets you may need a 22" barrel to get the most out of the 7/08 or
7/08x40 .

The 20" heavy barreled 7/08 is one of my favorite rifles for deer and hogs in fact the first
one I built was for running boar competition and it was great .we shot 300 and 500yrds
at a target moving 35 mph from left to right and right to left on the return trip.

It traveled 100yrds each way and you tried to get as many hits as possible for score.

You will love the short rifle for hunting and for running shots it cant be beat.

If it sounds like I like the little 7/08 your right !!!

J E CUSTOM

the first rifle i ever bought and sold was a 7-08 it had my heart just like to 284win and 7x57 at first grouping, anyway i was thinking in terms of
#3 or 4 contour and 20" just to make it handy and somewhat lightweight. my guns like 120-140gr bullets i was just thinking of the possibilities of the 168gr bergers. i have a 22" barreled 284 and often shoot up to 600yds with it and have no complaints about accuracy or potential i geuss i just want another 7-08 and feel that the ackley will give me the best potential.

the first rifle i ever bought and sold was a 7-08 it had my heart just like to 284win and 7x57 at first grouping, anyway i was thinking in terms of
#3 or 4 contour and 20" just to make it handy and somewhat lightweight. my guns like 120-140gr bullets i was just thinking of the possibilities of the 168gr bergers. i have a 22" barreled 284 and often shoot up to 600yds with it and have no complaints about accuracy or potential i geuss i just want another 7-08 and feel that the ackley will give me the best potential.

I have owned a 7/08x40 (Ackley) and it gave me about 150 ft/sec more velocity than the 7/08
Rem with 140gr bullets.

And with 150gr BTs about 125 ft/sec more .

When I moved up to the 160+ gr bullets it was about 100ft/sec faster than the 7/08 Rem.

If I may suggest : you might look at the 7 WSM for the bigger bullets .

I hunt with one ( A 7 WSM ) and with 160gr bullets I can squeeze 3000+ ft/sec velocity out
of it without excessive pressure.

It is built on a short action Remingtion with a 23" # 5 Lilja ss barrel and is my carry rifle for
ELK if I'm going to do a lot of walking.

If you use the 168 bergers in a short action you may have to single load because the like being
seated near or against the lands.

Sorry I gave you more to think about but thats the fun of a new build.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.