7-08 or 284win

ARlife4me

7mm is 1 of very few calibers I don't have under 33cal. Being able to use either cartridge in an AR platform has me thinking I might get a 7mm? The 284 gives me more velocity, but the 7-08 saves a little powder. If I were to shoot anything it would be swine of the get the hell out of my crops! I don't hunt deer or any other larger animals. I always feel the need for speed, but what would be the benefits between the 2 and downfalls? Brass in both I can find, but haven't checked on dies. Is either offered in srp?

I can vouch for the effectiveness of a 7mm-08 on various pigs.

I'm researching .284 as a target round.

I have a .280a.i. for hunting so you could I like the 7mm's.

Having used 7-08 and .308 a fair bit I say both are effective hog control and shot placement matters so a 7-08 in a semi auto platform would be great for quick follow up.

7mm WSM 120gr to 3500+ ?

7mm WSM 120gr to 3500+ ?

I wouldn't mind having a wsm or saum (preferably beltless mag) in an AR format. I've seen a place in Colorado that produces those type of magnum options. If I could get those barrels fluted it would be more my liking! Having a 27-08/6.8-08 would be nice, but no 277fury.

With the 284, to get it to fit in the ar-10 mags, you wil likely need to use lighter, or lower bc bullets seated deep, and feeding may take some tuning. If your ok with those possible roadblocks, the 284 isn't a bad option. However, a 7mm-08 would be the easy button and avoid the headach of the previously stated issues. If you do a 284, please update here how it goes, I would like to know personally.

With the 284, to get it to fit in the ar-10 mags, you wil likely need to use lighter, or lower bc bullets seated deep, and feeding may take some tuning. If your ok with those possible roadblocks, the 284 isn't a bad option. However, a 7mm-08 would be the easy button and avoid the headach of the previously stated issues. If you do a 284, please update here how it goes, I would like to know personally.
With magpul m118 mags you can seat @ 2.830". I've done this with 308's and m118 chambered barrels. I might need to throat it, but won't know until I get a barrel.

This is what I get when choosing 284win. Not necessarily bad, just a message.
Screenshot_20221023-224014_Samsung Internet.jpg

The 260win, 6.5creed and 243win has been a challenge also, but doable. Deciding on gas system length is going to be a challenge! Finding the right spring pressure and buffer weight can be easy, but without anyone using the cartridge weighing in on their hands on knowledge is uncharted territory. The 6.5creed and 260rem with standard and +2 gas systems have worked both ways. AP barrels in 6.5c work without agb and standard rifle length gas systems along with standard weight buffers. PR barrels w/+2 in both cartridges took more time for reliable function. +2 isn't always the answer, but possibly needed?

A 284win is a cartridge I know very well. I just build my 3rd one. Putting it in an AR platform would set it back to the model 88 and 100 performance days. 284win case is capable of great things if it's in a long action.

The other issue. I don't think it will feed very well in an AR due to the shoulder angle. Most flatter shoulder cases don't feed well in an AR. The feed ramps are very short.

A 284win is a cartridge I know very well. I just build my 3rd one. Putting it in an AR platform would set it back to the model 88 and 100 performance days. 284win case is capable of great things if it's in a long action.

The other issue. I don't think it will feed very well in an AR due to the shoulder angle. Most flatter shoulder cases don't feed well in an AR. The feed ramps are very short.
I would be hoping for a double stack single feed, but probably can't find an extension for it let alone a mag built for it? M4 ramps aren't the best for high angle shoulders. Adjusting the feed lips for a better release could help along with shortening the lips length? Could be an interesting project! I'll need metal feed lips for project as poly isn't adjustable friendly. The long case could be the problem? With the 7wsm being .007 shorter it's still able to feed, but the fatter case is why it might be able to feed? I've read a few people on here and another forum has short mags and super short mags built in AR platforms. No reason for the 284 not to work/function? I'm not disregarding anyone's replies/thought on the subject.

Last edited: