7-08 or 284win

My 7mm-08 is my go to rifle for most types of hunting. I only shoot it in bolt actions, so my experience is a bit limited in this respect. With selected bullets it is one of the flattest shooting you will find. The 284 is a fine choice but as others have pointed out use in an AR platform might be problematic.
It will also be tough to find ammo. In a bolt gun the 284 is a step up from the 7-08. If you can get around the logistic issues 284 is one of the best choices for Long Range hunting.

My 7mm-08 is my go to rifle for most types of hunting. I only shoot it in bolt actions, so my experience is a bit limited in this respect. With selected bullets it is one of the flattest shooting you will find. The 284 is a fine choice but as others have pointed out use in an AR platform might be problematic.
It will also be tough to find ammo. In a bolt gun the 284 is a step up from the 7-08. If you can get around the logistic issues 284 is one of the best choices for Long Range hunting.
I've been able to find brass in both, but I do reload so that helps.

In an ar10 platform…7-08 and it's not a question. I had a 284 in a bolt gun and it's bigger and badder…I think you're asking for headaches in an AR platform. Use everything you would for 308…if a 308 will run, the 7-08 will run too.

Generally we spot and stalk pigs at nite with thermals. If it's a line boar, I take the 7-08/162 combo…just hits harder. If it's a sounder, take my 300 Hamr…lighter, less recoil means getting back on target faster.

Use a rsaum case. Actually Rich Sherman's SST version of the rsaum is a better fit when considering bullet seating depth within the constrains of the ar10 mag. It has enough taper and shoulder angle for feeding / cycling.

Get a hi psi fp port mag bolt with dual ejector. Take 0.050 off the uppers ejection port to allow proper ejection. Unless you use a upper already designed with the larger port. Use a 24" barrel with a 16" gas port position especially with the use of the slower powders. Personally I would choose a CoMoly barrel vs SS. With gas port erosion and the ease to which it is to have unintentional high rates of fire vs bolt gun it will last longer and have lower rate of port erosion. Plus handle repeated high chamber pressures better.

You can load it from 7-08 perf levels thru well past 280 levels. It fits and feeds from AR-10 mags.

The far easiest would be to do a 7-08 but you will still be setting the longer bullets deep in the case to fit so it depends on your specific goals.

No way I would do a 284 std. unless you set the shoulder back to 7-08. You could leave a longer neck. I have never tried to feed that diameter case from a ar10 mag.

..the way things are these days with components and the insanity being shown by our so called reloading industry I'd be going with the 7mm/08 without question...no game animals chest will ever notice the 150fps velocity difference...I can always use .308 brass and when that can't be found I guess reloading as we know it will be long gone..

With 7/08, you will need to reload, because OTS ammo is scarce to non-existent.
I use it in my AR10 with Hdy 139gr Interlocks, and love it. I have an adjustable gas block but wound up running it wide open.
If you don't reload, do 308 or 6.5 Creed in an AR10.

These are cartridges I have and use in AR10 platform. 243win, 260rem, 6.5creed and 308win. Just looking for something different and hotter. 7-08 would be the easy choice, but getting setups (bolts, barrel and custom gas lengths) is going to be tough. No one even close to where I live has the equipment to do the work. Online has been a bust. The place in CO is the only place I've seen with magnum offerings.

I would for sure go with 7-08, or maybe talk to Clayton at West Texas Ordnance about 7mmSAW
I recall reading an extensive thread at some time about a guy trying to do a 284 in an AR10, and I don't think it went well.
In my area of Texas, I do see 7-08 on the shelf somewhat regularly, but not often 284. That may be selection bias, as I am always eyeing the 7mm section (also shoot a 7WSM)
But, you have it pretty well bracketed with 260 & 308... If it is more power you want, you'll be eyeing a magnum soon after!

I don't know of any 7-08 or 284 brass that has a small rifle primer. Peterson Cartridge has 260 Rem SRP brass that you could neck up or 308 Win SRP brass that you could neck down.
I thought lapua had/offered srp's in some of the 28cal and/or 26cal that might be able to size for 7-08? Starline offers srp in 6.5creed, so there is possibilities? Not sure if you resize brass and make it headspace properly?

As a proud 7-08 shooter I feel like it's about as capable as a .308 on game but with more headache. No otc options during ammo shortages and whatever is available is spendy AF. Gonna have to dip into my reloading components to use the darn thing this rifle season.