6mm Remington 87 grain v max loads?

lee31

Picking up a Remington 700 VLS in 6mm Remington. Firgued I could make it a long range wood chuck rifle. I bought some 87 grain Vmax's as they have a fairly good BC for a explosive varmint bullet. Anyone have any first hand experience with the 6mm Remington and 87 grain Vmax's? If so any load data would be much appreciated.

My dad and brother both shoot the 6mm Remington with 87 gr vmax for coyotes. I have worked up loads for both rifles. Both using H4350. One liked 45.6 gr and the other liked 46.0 gr. Both going around 3400 FPS.

Dad runs 100V in a 6mmai with the 87. 3610 is where he is shooting them. I run 3350 in both a243 and the ai version. Very quick kills on everything we have shot. They shoot well too.

Almost got a 244 Rem with 14 twist, the old school, so I knew anything over 100 grain was out. Looked at the 87 Vmax to load but that fell through. Good luck with your quest.

Picking up a Remington 700 VLS in 6mm Remington. Firgued I could make it a long range wood chuck rifle. I bought some 87 grain Vmax's as they have a fairly good BC for a explosive varmint bullet. Anyone have any first hand experience with the 6mm Remington and 87 grain Vmax's? If so any load data would be much appreciated.
Not to be the negative Nancy, but I haven't had much luck yet with the 87gr in my 6mm VLS, figured it would be a good bullet choice. I've had good luck with the 65gr V-Max and 55gr Lead-free BT Nosler. If you have luck with them let me know cause I'm curious and I'm still trying them to shoot.

idcwby

Did they seem promising? I'm really thinking of giving up on them and trying something else.

Did they seem promising? I'm really thinking of giving up on them and trying something else.
Yes I had a flyer with each group. If not for flyer they woulda been .5moa or better. I plan on bedding the rifle one of these days. But I just kinda lost interest in shooting. Just kinda getting back on the saddle. Gonna neck turn and anneal some brass tomorrow and maybe even fire a few rounds.

The 87 VMAX is one of my favorite bullets for use in my 6mm Rem - I like RL16, H4350, and 4000MR - 44.5 or so with RL16 & H4350, 45 or so with 4000MR. Powder is scarce and flexibility to adapt is needed. My 8 twist rifle shoots the 87 VMax's real good with 3 shot cloverleafs common and less than 2" at 300. The 87 Vmax is probably at its best in a 10 twist, but an 8 twist will do just fine.

Yes I had a flyer with each group. If not for flyer they woulda been .5moa or better. I plan on bedding the rifle one of these days. But I just kinda lost interest in shooting. Just kinda getting back on the saddle. Gonna neck turn and anneal some brass tomorrow and maybe even fire a few rounds.

Attachments

• D77811FE-D798-400D-9FE2-5FED9E142215.jpeg
    D77811FE-D798-400D-9FE2-5FED9E142215.jpeg
    827.1 KB · Views: 1,752
A 1963 Sako 243 Win. With a rather steep twist, Likes the 87gr. V-Max Remington primer and IMR 4350.
The .243 87gr. V-Max is a little longer compared to other jacket/core bullets, Of the 85-87 gr. weight group.

Recent Posts