6mm creedmoor

Deahl

Well I jumped into the long range shooting game. I acquired a new Savage 110 Tactical in 6mm Creedmoor. I've got a Primary Arms 4-16-44 scope. Looking for rings to mount the scope with now.
Any recommendations for ammo to start with would be appreciated. I'll eventually start reloading for it when I get enough brass saved up.
Thanks for any advice.

I have a 6mm cm in a browning x-bolt hunter. when you start reloading I have found that Sierra 107gr hpbt mk in front of H4350 works real well. I have shot my best 500yd groups with this load. powder amount likely to vary gun to gun along with seating depth. A sweet shooting gun.

Burris Signature series Zee rings for a lot of reasons. Rings that come with a different scope might also be an idea.

You'll not like hearing it but it's better to find out earlier than later: I've seen about 1 in 3 of the PA 4-14x44's that have made it to my classes had milky glass, not a single one has had turrets that were repeatable or with consistent click values and roughly 30% have failed to either establish or hold a zero. They're so bad that I simply won't deal with them anymore. Someone shows up to one of my classes with one and I'll rip it off and put a SWFA on so I can be sure they'll at least finish the class without equipment failure. A Bushnell 10x40ET or SWFA 10x42 SS would be as low end as I'd seriously recommend anyone wanting to do long range go.

You gotta understand, you can't put target turrets, first focal plane and a calibrated reticle into $229 without having to sacrifice execution quality and they sacrificed it seemingly everywhere.

To be clear, I'm not a glass snob. PA's lower end line really is atrocious. Their Platinum line on the other hand, I have nothing really to bag on. Those actually work really well and their price reflects that.

Burris Signature series Zee rings for a lot of reasons. Rings that come with a different scope might also be an idea.

You'll not like hearing it but it's better to find out earlier than later: I've seen about 1 in 3 of the PA 4-14x44's that have made it to my classes had milky glass, not a single one has had turrets that were repeatable or with consistent click values and roughly 30% have failed to either establish or hold a zero. They're so bad that I simply won't deal with them anymore. Someone shows up to one of my classes with one and I'll rip it off and put a SWFA on so I can be sure they'll at least finish the class without equipment failure. A Bushnell 10x40ET or SWFA 10x42 SS would be as low end as I'd seriously recommend anyone wanting to do long range go.

You gotta understand, you can't put target turrets, first focal plane and a calibrated reticle into $229 without having to sacrifice execution quality and they sacrificed it seemingly everywhere.

To be clear, I'm not a glass snob. PA's lower end line really is atrocious. Their Platinum line on the other hand, I have nothing really to bag on. Those actually work really well and their price reflects that.
Bottom line, If you cant see it you cant shoot it, bite the bullet and spend $$$ on scope

Well I jumped into the long range shooting game. I acquired a new Savage 110 Tactical in 6mm Creedmoor. I've got a Primary Arms 4-16-44 scope. Looking for rings to mount the scope with now.
Any recommendations for ammo to start with would be appreciated. I'll eventually start reloading for it when I get enough brass saved up.
Thanks for any advice.
It sure if you are looking for suggestions for rings, but I really like Warne cantilever mounts for my ARs. I assume their rings are the same quality.

I started with a box of Hornady Precision Hunter 103 gr ELD-X and was totally surprised by their performance at 300 yds(1"). Have a 1X7 twist rifle and have moved on to heavier rounds: want to ladder test a 110 gr A-tip with H4350. !00 bullets in the mail. Questions?

Burris Signature series Zee rings is what I put one every one of my rifles. They have a lot of gripping surface, they won't scratch your scope and you don't have to lap the rings. You can save money by not having to buy a 20 deg. base as this can be adjusted with the ring inserts. They also offer "Tactical" rings that have 6 screws per rings. The price is less than $100.

Tag. Waiting too see what everyone's suggesting.
I'm running a FACTORY Savage Desert Tactical 26" 7.5 twist with Alpha SRP brass.
I couldn't get IMR4350, H4350 ,CCI BR450, 105 RDF to work.
Oddly enough 105gr Hornady Match Boat Tail shot almost as good as 105gr Hybrid Target.

It loves 105 Hybrids with ... Reloder 19!!!! And CCI BR4 at .060" jump. This combo has a pretty wide accuracy node.
20190615_152900.jpg
these were shot at 200 yards.
Note these groups could be a lot tighter shot on a front rest and rear bag. ( I'm not the greatest shot on a bipod.)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.