6mm Remington

6mm AI would be my choice, and on a LA, so I can use longer bullets. You can build on a SA though. Not my choice though.

That being said I think going either way isn't a bad decision. Both are really close. I would say the 6mm AI if you wanted to shoot larger projectiles. A bit more powerful, and much better on the barrel. Other than that, the 243 AI is a great choice too.

The 6mm bullet in general though, on any platform is a great projectile choice for varmints on up to deer, and the only choice for benchrest.

I think my earlier post may have been confusing. I don't use the 6mm or 243 on elk, or even on deer most of the time. I've always taken a 7mm Rem mag elk hunting, and use mostly a 264WM and 270WSM for deer. I was refering to how far I was comfortable shooting with my rifles, not with the 6mm in particular. I mostly use the 243 & 6mm for coyotes and my girlfriend & neighbor use them for deer. I sometimes use the 243 with Bergers for antlerless season where I can wait for a perfect broadside opportunity and not need to take quartering shots.

I'm building a 243 Win on a Rem 700 SA this summer. I want to shoot the 105gr VLD type bullets, so I decided on the 8" twist. I decided against the 6mm Rem and 6mm-284 because of the seating depth limitations of the short action.
If you go to 6mmbr.com they have articles on most of the chamberings mentioned here. They give pretty good info there about reloading and fireforming the improved versions. You can probably get a real good idea of want to do.

I'm building a 243 Win on a Rem 700 SA this summer. I want to shoot the 105gr VLD type bullets, so I decided on the 8" twist. I decided against the 6mm Rem and 6mm-284 because of the seating depth limitations of the short action.
If you go to 6mmbr.com they have articles on most of the chamberings mentioned here. They give pretty good info there about reloading and fireforming the improved versions. You can probably get a real good idea of want to do.

yeah, that is the one and only reason I would build a 243 or 243AI, if I cared about having a SA. I don't, so I went the 6mmAI route, but if you are stuck on the SA, then you need to go the 243, 243AI route. Also, you get better brass with the 243, because you can use Lapua brass.

Whichever way you go, I think you're going to have fun flinging 6mm bullets at varmints, predators and mule deer. Going on 37 years now of busting critters with the little 6mm Rem, it still does a super job!

If I'd started with a .243, I'd feel just as good about the rifle. Maybe I'll take it east to Wyoming someday for pronghorn. That always was a dream with this rifle.

Regards, Guy

Hi

New to this site and saw this post. I am in the process of building a varmint/target rifle (300 to 600 yards matches) based on the 6mm LR and have decided on a 1:9 twist. There is a formula for bullet stability called the Miller Coefficient which uses bullet weight, bullet length, velocity, caliber, temperature, altitude and twist rate to calculate a value. Values from 1.4 to 2.5 are acceptable for stabilizing bullets. Anything less than 1.4 would be not stable and anything above 2.5 would be to fast (i.e., bullet spins to fast). The military has adopted values from 1.5 to 2.5 for their use. I have programmed this equation into an Excel 7 spreadsheet and you are welcome to use it for your own application. Just let me know.

Thanks

Robert

I was told, by a Gunsmith that since I have a short action that I should have it chambered for a .243 A rather than a 6mm Remington, because the .243 will work better in a Short Action.

Is the 6mm Remington a LA or a SA round.....................I use to shoot a 6mm years ago in a Rugar 77 and I think it was in a short action.

Another Smith told me that I should get a 6mm XC That's a new one for me.....................very little info on this new round....

Has anyone heard of it?

So, a 1-9 twist rate will shoot the lighter 70-75 grain bullets as well as the VLD's............................??

This whole rifle project was easy however this twist rate is the confusing part. Every one has a different opinion...................

Has anyone out there shot game at over 500yards or is that distance and more more of a rareity...............

Does anyone have any experiance with Darrell Hollands ART, Advanced Reticle tecknolagy??

The more questions and answers I ask and recieve there more questions I generate.............................

I would think that most good bullets with the right scope set up are capable of 500 yard shots........................

Lots of thoughts .......................

Not so confused

Greg
the 6mm Remington is the .257 Roberts necked to 6mm and both are from the 7X57 Mauser necked down and developed by Ned Roberts. all 3 are a standard length action and to get optimum performance need to be in a standard length.
you can fit them in a short action but will have to seat the bullet deep and will lose powder capacity therefore velocity.
I have both,the 6mm in a Ruger 77 MKII and the .257 Roberts(which I had rechambered to Ackley imp.) in a Ruger Hawkeye and both are a standard length action.

So in reality there are really only a few Catridges that work in a short action............probably the ones based on the original .308 and the newer WSM's.

Sure you have a lot of varmint ones like the .223 but for big game you dont a lot to choose from

Depending on how big a game you are talking about, the .308 isn't a peashooter.

What did you decide? I found this thread because i have a 70s vintage Rem 700 Varmint that looks a lot like the gun on the first page. Beautiful walnut stocks and hand checkering back then.

I recommend staying away from 6mm Remington because I don't want competition for brass and ammo. :D

--Jerry

Greg, I've been shooting a factory Rem 700 short action, in 6mm Rem, since 1974. Well, my youngest son hunts with it now, but I still claim it from time to time!

Although the factory rounds fit fine in a short action, a lot of guys like to build them on a long action so that they can seat the bullets out much farther. This of course provides more powder capacity, therefore more velocity.

The .243 AI is also a wicked shooting little rascal. Either, or even the standard .243 Win, is dandy for varmints through deer size game. I don't recall ever shooting anything out at 500 yards with my 6mm Rem. Ours. Whatever! It will drop a mule deer just fine at 300 yards with a mere 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Complete penetration and devastating results internally. Typically we shoot 75 gr hollow points at rock chucks, 95 - 105 gr bullets at deer, and whatever happens to be in the rifle at coyotes.

Nice little cartridge. There's a lot of info on the various 6mm's - except not much on the 6mm Remington - at AccurateShooter.com 6mmBR.com -- Best Guide to Precision Shooting and Precision Rifle Accuracy

Check out the articles on the .243/.243 AI as well as the article on the 6XC.

Regards, Guy

My father bought a 6mm Remington in a 700 BDL in the late '70's because he wanted to go target shooting with me. That was one of the sweetest-shooting rifles I've ever seen, and with a Hornady 87 grain BTHP bullet it would drive tacks at 300 yards. I was already into hand-loading, so I worked up a load for target shooting. I also worked up a 100 grain load for deer hunting, but he never went hunting with me. I'm really sorry I let it go, and now that I'm considering getting back into target shooting, and maybe hunting, I'm taking a long look at the 6mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.