69 grain smk/.223 question???????

Most SMK's will shoot well with a small amount of jump. You won't know until you try it, but I'd start off the lands and work forward until you find what the rifle/bullet combination likes.

My Savage VLP 223 shoots the MK best with 24.5g of Varget. Seating depth makes almost no difference from .010 to .060 off the lands. Shoots groups in the 4s all day long.

Like has been said Sierra's like to jump. I shoot the 69 gr. MK with 25.3 grs. of Varget, CCI BR-4 primer, WW case, OAL 2.260 and use a Lee Factory Crimp Die on it. I shoot it in my Bushmaster AR-15 with 1 N 9 twist and it is very accurate. This is the Accuracy load that comes from the Sierra manual. I have a handle mounted scope base with scope that I put on the rifle and shoot groundhogs with it using this load. I does a number on a groundhog.

I have a .22-6mm and shoot 80 gn.SMK`s in it. With some powders it shoots better with the bullets jummed into the lands and with other powder it like a small jump best. In other words go try both.

learned something interesting this week.loaded some of those 69 gr smk's .005 in the lands and .015 out.with 3 different powders.they all sot terrible at 100 yards.no 3 shot group was smaller than 1.5 inches some were 2 inches.scratch my head?i see that varget is a good powder choice for the heavier .223 pills.the closest powder to varget that i have is imr 4064.so i loaded some more with 4064 and seated the bullets (3 of eacch) at .05,.04,.03 off of lands.shot them yesterday.remarkable differance.all loads shot under 1 moa at 100yards.the smallest was .625 and the largest was .875.i think i'm on the right track,i'm going to back them off some more and see what happens.then play with powder charge and primers.wow.what seems to work for some guns don't work in others.jason

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.