223 55 Grain Recipe

Strikenmike

I have in front of me a box of Sierra 55 gr spitzers for my 223 H&R Ultra Rifle.

I need some ideas on reloading recipes for this bullet.

Currently using 25.5 grains of Varget with a 69 MK's. I want to come up with a load for a smaller grain bullet. Powder on hand...Varget AND H335. I need some real life results. Barrel twist 1-9.

Thanks

The H335 is the way to go. Varget is great in the 223, but is better suited to the heavier bullets, such as the 77 and 80 grain offerings. The 69s you've got are about the lightest I'd want to go with the Varget.

The H335 works very well with mid-weight bullets like the 55s and will give you good results. Might also want to consider H322 and BenchMark in the Hodgdon line, N133 or N135 in V-V, or Reloder 10X or 12 in the Alliant line. Hard to come up with a "bad" load in an accurate 223.

The load my Savage likes is
55 grain bullet
25.0 grains of h-335
C.O.L. 2.260

I got a 4 shot one hole group with nossler ballistic tips and sub moa with other 55 grain bullets (remington sp, and siera sp)

Hopes this helps
Mongo

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.