Hammer 55 grain 6mm.

Calvin45

Hey all, I've noticed something that's perked my ears up a bit haha. Hammer makes a 55 grain hammer hunter in .243 cal. If launching a 55 btip or 58 vmax North of 4000 fps is no big deal in a plain vanilla .243 I wonder if these could go even faster OR if they're so short that the bearing surface afvantages of
The whole PDR thing wouldn't apply. Also curious how they'd do on deer sized game. Too small? I have a new to me .358 Norma I plan to take this fall so it's a purely academic question at this point. A big part of me feels in my gut that it's just too little BUT my gut is often wrong haha, and I know if there's people out shooting deer with .223s and varmint bullets a .243 with a mono is way more gun…still don't know. But I'm a speed freak in Training.

Anyone play with these new-ish hammers yet?

And I know I took some issue with the way hammer bullets and some of their advocates conducted themselves in a forum a while back, feel the need to clear the air: that was then, this is now, still very impressed by their products and don't feel I have any quarrel with anyone on here but will say something when I see someone I respect being unfairly portrayed or disrespected AND when I see someone i respect acting in a less respectable manner for their sake. If I'm acting like that I'd hope my real friends would confront me about it too! No hard feelings at all here.

So, that out of the way, anyone play with the 55 hammer hunter 6mm?

Tagging in. I'd love to hear if anyones tried these. I've loaded up the 70HH's in my daughters to 3600 and they shoot great. She took a nice buck last fall with them.

As for the thread mentioned, I stayed out of it. I really like the Hammers and think they speak for themselves. No need to argue about it. Everyone has there go to's. There are plenty of good options out there. No reason to fight about it.

Hey all, I've noticed something that's perked my ears up a bit haha. Hammer makes a 55 grain hammer hunter in .243 cal. If launching a 55 btip or 58 vmax North of 4000 fps is no big deal in a plain vanilla .243 I wonder if these could go even faster OR if they're so short that the bearing surface afvantages of
The whole PDR thing wouldn't apply. Also curious how they'd do on deer sized game. Too small? I have a new to me .358 Norma I plan to take this fall so it's a purely academic question at this point. A big part of me feels in my gut that it's just too little BUT my gut is often wrong haha, and I know if there's people out shooting deer with .223s and varmint bullets a .243 with a mono is way more gun…still don't know. But I'm a speed freak in Training.

Anyone play with these new-ish hammers yet?

And I know I took some issue with the way hammer bullets and some of their advocates conducted themselves in a forum a while back, feel the need to clear the air: that was then, this is now, still very impressed by their products and don't feel I have any quarrel with anyone on here but will say something when I see someone I respect being unfairly portrayed or disrespected AND when I see someone i respect acting in a less respectable manner for their sake. If I'm acting like that I'd hope my real friends would confront me about it too! No hard feelings at all here.

So, that out of the way, anyone play with the 55 hammer hunter 6mm?
Check with GLTaylor. He did some work with them.

I shot 55g Nosler ballistic tips in the 243 Win with a hot load of varget at 4100. AA2700 burns a lot cooler than Varget and easier to clean out.

Killing stuff is easy, place your shot or do not pull the trigger.

ON another note, 80g Barnes TTSX just pole ax deer, very accurate jumping the bullet .050. I only mention this because I have no barrel time with the HH bullets.

Good luck!

I shot 55g Nosler ballistic tips in the 243 Win with a hot load of varget at 4100. AA2700 burns a lot cooler than Varget and easier to clean out.

Killing stuff is easy, place your shot or do not pull the trigger.

ON another note, 80g Barnes TTSX just pole ax deer, very accurate jumping the bullet .050. I only mention this because I have no barrel time with the HH bullets.

Good luck!
I used Varget with the 70HH's. The 3600 was out of a 20" barrel and still had room but the load was tight.

I used Varget with the 70HH's. The 3600 was out of a 20" barrel and still had room but the load was tight.
The 70s are my plan a for when I get around to trying hammers. (and more discretionary funds, kind of used up what I budgeted for gun stuff this year ajd it's only July….). That and the 223 grain shock hammer in my .358 Norma, that ought to be an off switch!

I'll check out gl Taylor's stuff. It's been a while since I perused that page, don't know why I didn't think to just look there, but last time I did it wasn't there yet.

Anyways…,would you use such a light small bullet for big game hunting, and how big
Of game?

The 70s are my plan a for when I get around to trying hammers. (and more discretionary funds, kind of used up what I budgeted for gun stuff this year ajd it's only July….). That and the 223 grain shock hammer in my .358 Norma, that ought to be an off switch!

I'll check out gl Taylor's stuff. It's been a while since I perused that page, don't know why I didn't think to just look there, but last time I did it wasn't there yet.

Anyways…,would you use such a light small bullet for big game hunting, and how big
Of game?
Those 223 shock hammers should be awesome out of that .358.

The 70 HH's were my first go at such a small light bullet. The buck my daughter shot was about 175lb and ran maybe 40 yards dead on its feet. Was pilled up head first into the brush with it's front legs totally underneath him as he was on his belly. Liquified inside. Will continue to use.

Another fine shooting hammer bullet. Tested them in my 26" 6mm Rem with W760 and IMR 3031 and got up to 4,177 and 4,152, respectively. I have some room to go and think another 100-150 fps is possible without adverse pressure signs. Also shooting them in my 14" Savage Striker 243 pistol at 3,629 fps. Details are on GLTaylor's load data post. I prefer the 70HH for deer but would have no reservations using the 55HH on whitetail sized game inside of 300 yards.

Another fine shooting hammer bullet. Tested them in my 26" 6mm Rem with W760 and IMR 3031 and got up to 4,177 and 4,152, respectively. I have some room to go and think another 100-150 fps is possible without adverse pressure signs. Also shooting them in my 14" Savage Striker 243 pistol at 3,629 fps. Details are on GLTaylor's load data post. I prefer the 70HH for deer but would have no reservations using the 55HH on whitetail sized game inside of 300 yards.
Thanks Jon!

Just a brief update. The 55gr bullets would be great varmint bullets on smaller sized animals - say to 50 lbs or so. The Hammers are very destructive at 4200fps and do not penetrate very far before coming apart. At hyper velocity, they may not ofully penetrate a whitetail on a broadside shot at 200 or less yards. This is based on only one deer shot this year. They may do just fine at lesser impact velocity (like what we learned with the 30 cal 101 Blackout). Going forward, I'll be testing the 70 - 80 gr hunters at high velocity.