300 RUM amd 175 grain VLD recipe??

Idaho_Elk_Huntr

Anyone have any info for the 175 grain VLD in the 300 Ultra Mag?
I have plenty of bullets but dont know where to start. Would it be ok to start at th 180 nosler Miimum and work up?

Thanks!!

I personally would shoot a heavier bullet in your Ultra mag than the 175.

The 210 VLD has a BC on .640 vs. the 175 VLD BC of .537

The heavier bullet would perform much better for you....

Just my opinion though.

300 RUM and Berger VLD in 175gr

I've been loading these with RL25 working up from loads of 86gr and 88gr this week. I should have some results in a few days when I get to the range. I have a remington 700 sendero w/break. I'm trying to use up the RL25 powder I have on hand. I have a surplus of WC872 powder and I have had good results with loads of 100-105gr for a lot cheaper price over the RL25. Case capacity is a small issue with anything over 105gr though. The powder has worked well with several bullets including hornady amax in 178gr, barnes tsx and mrx in 180gr, lost river j36 in 180gr, norma alaska in 180gr, and sierra match king in 180gr. I had no luck with nosler ballistic tip 180's though. There is a variance of 25-50fps per grain between lots of wc872 I've noticed so start off at 100gr with a chronograph and work up if you try it. Of all these, the hornady amax has given the best performance. We have to harvest a lot of does each year. the AMAX is not really made for hunting but it is hell on does. It usually goes all the way through and can be found just under the skin on the far side. They never take more than a few steps, if that. For my gun, 100gr of wc872 or 88gr of rl25 has worked well for most of these bullets. both loads produce velocities of about 2950-3050fps. Slow for the round, but since I hunt with these at < 200yrd most of the time it seems the best balance of performance and accuracy.

Walt sure knows his bullets but I gotta say I used a 190vld out of a .308 win and I can tell you there is absolutely no problems with expansion. I shot a deer with one and holy cow! huge exit hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.