300 grain, .338 SMK, BULLET POINTING - TIPPING?

I am not an authority on this subject, but have read a fair amount about it. From what i have read, and a conversation with a smith that did some testing with this, it seems that it is generally not worth it. My gun shoots this bullet very well without doing anything, so I dont have any reason to try it. If my gun was not shooting it well, that might be motivation to try it.

good luck.

Bullet pointing have very little impact on how well the bullet shots from your rifle. It has everything to do with improving BC and brings associated benefits to the party.

Those who trim the meplate experience a measureable loss in BC.

Those who use the Whidden Bullet Pointing System experience a measurable increase in BC.

Do a google on the system, there is plenty of experience with it.

Sinclair shows #05-5933 Bullet Pointing Sleeve 338 Cal $40.00. Not sure if there is any more than that involved besides the die system......

Bullet pointing may result in delayed or less bullet expansion at long range on game.

Tipping, ie putting plastic tips in can only be done in labor intensive manner. Dave Tooley has probably worked this more than anyone.

Metplat trimming to uniform the OAL and then repointing using the Whidden tool has proven to give more uniform groups and eliminate some vertical in comp level.

As stated previously, trimming will decrease BC slightly and repointing will give slight increase.

BH

Tipping, ie putting plastic tips in can only be done in labor intensive manner. Dave Tooley has probably worked this more than anyone.

Metplat trimming to uniform the OAL and then repointing using the Whidden tool has proven to give more uniform groups and eliminate some vertical in comp level.

As stated previously, trimming will decrease BC slightly and repointing will give slight increase.

BH

I have the same question, that has already been mentioned: How does tipping affect performance on game?

I have used teh Whidden system to gereat sucess for my F-Class target shooting for 2 years now. It closes up the meplat by aproximately 50%, making it more of a point ("tipping"), and gives something on the order of 10% increase in BC. I have not used any "tipped" bullets on game and would be concerned that closing up the meplat would adversely affect the bullets performance on game.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts