600y gun

[ QUOTE ]
red fox & crow size varmints

[/ QUOTE ]
<ul type="square">
[*]Rem 700 accurized factory receiver
[*]308 Winch. 26" custom barrel (Lilja)
[*]I've seen some amazing accurazy using 155 gr. HPBT Palma MatchKing out to 500-600 yards at 2950 ft/sec - in 1:10 twist though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif We know this bullet has made a name for itself at 1000 yards! YUp! I think it would have to have 1:10 twist because of its flexibility.
[*]McMillan HTG
[*]Nikon Tactical Mildot Scope
[/list]
That'd be my simplest, none-complicated, very-accurate 3500+ barrel life set up!!!

If I ever get tired of crow and fox size varmints, I can always have the right load to have more than enough energy for elk out to 600 yards, or Mule deer at 800-900 yards or antelope at a 1000 yards!!!!!! Man!!!! you can't say the same about many other calibers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OK!!! <ul type="square">
[*]Accubond 180 gr. BC = 0.507
[*]MV = 2600
[*]Energy at 600 yards = 1310 ft/lb at Elev. 5250
[*]Energy at 800 yards = 1007 ft/lb
[*]Energy at 1000 yards = 774 ft/lb
[/list]

6mm,

Like Meister said.

I have thru much "trial and error" found for this particular rifle, that the absolute best load in terms of shear accuracy is 69.4 g RE 22 behind 200 g SMK, OAL 3.48", 215 FM primers.

By accuracy I mean the following type results:

.14" at 100 yards
.50" at 300 yards
.75" at 500 yards
1.2" at 600 yards... all for 5 shot goups. Not just once, but often with very similar results.

Unfortunately, I have burned barrels out looking for the pumped up... very accurate high velocity loads. Heck, even after I found this load, I continued experimenting to improve... to no avail for this particular rifle.

Besides, down in south georgia it don't take much energy to absolutely smoke the little bodied deer, crows and such out to a 1000 yards.

At 600 yards it is a chip shot with that load.

Having said that I own and have built barrel burners.

But for varment hunting to 1000 yards, give me a 300 WM shooting the pleasurable above stated load.

v/r

[ QUOTE ]
For me it is the 22 dasher. Excellent very stable laupa brass. Very accurate little recoil and great ballistics. You can shoot a 80 grain a-max at 3400 fps with 36.0 grains of powder or the 100 grain rbbt at 3000 fps. Put a brake on the rifle and watch your own shots. If your dead set on 6mm make a 6 dasher. 6 dasher dies are made by forster. The dasher is hard to beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

what action would you use,custom or a donor,type of barrel,trigger.
do you have to muck about with the brass,or is it straight of the shelf.

[ QUOTE ]
Just about anything in 6mm would be an excellent choice. There are just far too many choices to list and I wouldn't limit myself to 600 yds. Why not get a fast twist 6mm then you can shoot out to 1000 + yds as well as the 5-600 yd stuff?????

[/ QUOTE ]

so what would you build,
don't forget its not your cash. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
600 yards is not a real test to a quality built rifle. While you will NEVER go wrong with a quality custom receiver, I would not say it is needed in any way for this type of shooting or this range of shooting.

A Rem 700 accurized properly will make 600 yard shots a breeze as will many other factory receivers if machined properly.

Again, there is no fault in using a custom receiver, just do not think this is the only way to get consistant hits at 600 yards. That simply is not the trueth.

Personally, if I were building a rifle for myself to cover your exact needs, I would look at something in the 6mm to 6.5mm class of bore and as far as case capacity I would start at the 6 BR or 6-250 in the 6mm and probably start at the 260 Rem in the 6.5mm.

There is really no need to get a big case capacity with this range limit in mind. As such, on the top end I would limit the 6mm to a 243 AI case capacity or less and the 6.5mm to the 284 case capacity or less.

Both would have fast twists, both would shoot the VLD or ULD bullets and I would load them to the 2800 to 3000 fps range for best performance with this type of match bullets.

Rifle weight would be a personal choice, me I would like a 12 lb rifle or so. Still packable but plenty stable for 600 yard shots, which still is a good poke out there!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks kirby
which action do you think is the best one to start with as a donor,for this type of project.??

and who Else makes quality composite stocks.as i have had my fill of MC Milan.
witch barrel would you use,(have you tried loather Walther)

and what trigger would you use,(i like mine under a pound pull)
thanks
Colin

The dasher is made from 6 br brass. It is pretty much a ackley improved version with a 40 degree shoulder. For the 6 just jam a bullet into the lands and fire form. The 22 dasher is the same, you just have to neck it down. For 600 yards I would use a savage action, one I'm cheap, second they are very easy for the average man to work on, and they usually shoot. If you want something fancy theirs nothing wrong with the stiller predator for $650. For 600 yard shooting the 22 dasher shooting 80 grain a-max's at 3400 Fps is like a 6ppc on steroids.

[ QUOTE ]
The dasher is made from 6 br brass. It is pretty much a ackley improved version with a 40 degree shoulder. For the 6 just jam a bullet into the lands and fire form. The 22 dasher is the same, you just have to neck it down. For 600 yards I would use a savage action, one I'm cheap, second they are very easy for the average man to work on, and they usually shoot. If you want something fancy theirs nothing wrong with the stiller predator for $650. For 600 yard shooting the 22 dasher shooting 80 grain a-max's at 3400 Fps is like a 6ppc on steroids.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks
how does she compare with the 6 mm offerings in the wind drift department.as over here it is all ways windy
thanks
Colin

Well comparing the 22 dasher to a 6 dasher in the wind is really no comparsion. The a-max and sierra 80 grain bullets have a b.c of .5 and at 3400 FPS thats pretty impressive. But with the 100 grain wildcat RBBT at 3000 fps it flat out shoots in the wind. I did shoot 7 wsm,s before I got in the heavy fast twist 22 cals and at 500 to 700 yards which I typically shoot I cant really see much advantage with the big guns. The .224 B.c to match my drop charts 80's .5 90 sierra berger .6 and the 100 wildcat close to .7. This is ground hog moa out to a 1000 b.c. The 6 dasher shoots the 105 and 107 at 3000 fps with a b.c of around .5. After the brass is formed you can get 10 or more loadings on the brass at 3000 fps with the wildcat or 80's at 3400. Hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.