6-700yd Mountain deer gun opinions?

Duckman208

I have a rem 700 sps .300wsm right now it's a stock rifle with a bed and trigger job. I hunt in the back country in Idaho and weight is a bit of a consideration. I'm trying to decide if it would be smarter to build off this rifle or start from scratch. I would like to get into something that recoils a bit less probably in a 6.5 or 7mm. I'm not interested in taking deer at super long range but I want a to be able to cleanly take mule deer at the 6-700 yd mark. This isn't a lot of info I know but I'm in what I would call the earliest stages of planning here so any opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and shoot strait.gun)

I am waiting on a 6.5x284, but this might be a little more than you need. For a lightweight rig with easy recoil, I would look into a .260 Rem. I recently shot a 7mm-08... what a sweetheart of a caliber. It was so nice compared to the .300s up to .416s I am used to shooting. Actually, it was a big reason for me "stepping down" to a 6.5x284 for deer sized animals. The .260 will give you more reach than the 7mm because of better bc bullets. Actually, just the range you are looking for. Short action, light recoil, in a lightweight rifle....what's not to like? Writing this, I am wondering if I made the right choice!:D

Thanks Trojan, I have seriously been thinking about both of those rounds the 6.5-284 has a bit more case capacity but requires a long action. I've heard the 6.5 creedmoor is right there as well. I think they are all within about a 100fps muzzle velocity. I think these are all rounds I may be interested in my only concern is that they have enough energy to put down mature mule deer at those ranges. Great info

Duckman,

I know how you feel. I ordered my 6.5 from Gunwerks. I was really leaning towards the 7mm with 168s. Mike Davidson, nice guy by the way, was really sold on the 6.5. To tell the truth, I knew very little about it at that point. He assured me that it was good to 1000 yds on any mule deer that walks. Mine is being loaded with 140 bergers at over 3000 ft/s. I was not completely sold and even gave him the old, "ok, YOU have a 220 inch mule deer at 800 yds etc etc....which caliber would you rather have?". He was adamant that he would take either and the 6.5 kicks quite a bit less. I think for 6-700 yds you'd be fine with the Rem or Creedmore.

I keep reading good things about the 260 Rem. Starting to pique my curiosity as well.

I would personally look at the 6.5's for this purpose. If you go 7mm you won't get much recoil relief if you use LR bullets with good BC's. With the 6.5's it is a very noticeable drop in recoil IMO and they are still deadly on deer sized game at even longer distances that you are talking about.

I would personally go with a LA even though you are trying to keep a compact, lightweight package. Those 6.5 pills are long and if you want to use the 130's and 140's, this would be my suggestion, you will want the long action so you can seat them properly and still use your mag.

I would look strongly at the 6.5x55. You will get just a bit more power than the creedmore and Rem 260 but still not too much to cause increased recoil and a drop in barrel life like you would if you go to the 6.5x284.

The specs you mentioned also set yourself up nicely for a lighter compact scope which will save you some weight. You don't need a lot of power to get to 700 yards. A good 3-9, 2-10 or 3-15 would be all you need. I have an SS 3-9x42 on a similar gun and it works very well.

HTH,

Scot E.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm really starting to like the sound of these 6.5s. I have a habit of hopping on the Hodgdon load data page to compare velocities in rounds I'm looking at. I am guessing that you are achieving 3000fps at the muzzle with the 6.5-284 with a longer than 24inch tube? If I could get performance like that in a 6.5 140 VLD I think that would be exactly what I'm looikin for. I have a vortex viper hs 4-16x44 that I have been swaping between my AR and my .300wsm it is a great scope and not as heavy as I expected a scope of this caliber to be. On the .300 I have been able to dial out to 730 without a base with MOA built in. Thanks again guys I'm sure any of these 6.5's would be a kitten compared to my short mag.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm really starting to like the sound of these 6.5s. I have a habit of hopping on the Hodgdon load data page to compare velocities in rounds I'm looking at. I am guessing that you are achieving 3000fps at the muzzle with the 6.5-284 with a longer than 24inch tube? If I could get performance like that in a 6.5 140 VLD I think that would be exactly what I'm looikin for. I have a vortex viper hs 4-16x44 that I have been swaping between my AR and my .300wsm it is a great scope and not as heavy as I expected a scope of this caliber to be. On the .300 I have been able to dial out to 730 without a base with MOA built in. Thanks again guys I'm sure any of these 6.5's would be a kitten compared to my short mag.

I shoot a .260 Rem which is a bone stock 700 Mountian DM with the skinny 22" barrel with a 9 twist. The only thing I have done to this rifle is a trigger adjustment and sealed the inside of the stock with waterbased urethane coating that my company uses on a daily basis. I got the rifle 7 years ago for a smoking deal and it was so light and nimble I could not refuse. The pressure button on the forend remains and it will put 3 125 grain partitions over H-4831 into 3/8's consistantly after that the noodle of a barrel starts chucking them around. I mostly hunt the rolling praries of southern Alberta and depending on draw results the foothills. I like the rifle just fine but I like the 260 Rem cartridge ten times better.

If you are going to go with the 260 Rem and want to get everything you can get out of the cartridge you will have to do a build on a donor action so you can get up to 140's with the velocity you require to reach your needed ranges. I would recomend an 8 twist on a quality 24" barrel of your prefered contour that is throated for the 140 grain bullet or bullets that you would like to shoot. If you go with a short action you might have Mag length issues for loaded ammo. So it would have to be a long action which is not really a big deal in the greater scope of things but that is personal preference The orignal action length of the 7x57 Mauser which is in between our domestic short and long actions would be a perfect fit and if I remember right is pretty much the same as the orignal 6.5x 55 action length. The 6.5 x 55 is also an excellent choice and is a better fit in a long domestic action even moreso with 140 grain bullets that can be seated out farther ganing case volume for more powder. The Laupa 6.5x55 case is plenty strong and in a modern action is not lacking to newer case designs in working pressures. With the powders we have now the old 6.5x55 is really a sleeper that gets passed over by a lot of people perhaps because it's wiskers are quite grey now days. Either cartridge is excellent for what you would be looking to do in a light rifle with low recoil and moderate muzzle blast. It really boils down to personel choice and what your wallet can sustain. My situation in 6.5 is different and I am more than happy with the performance I am getting with my combo but I do not need to reach out as far as you need to but that does not change my opinion on 6.5's. I have not yet required a second shot on Whitetailed deer, Mule deer, Black Bears and a couple of cow Moose. My 260 will be going to my daughter in a few years I just have to figure out how to break the news to my wife.

I am waiting on a 6.5x284, but this might be a little more than you need. For a lightweight rig with easy recoil, I would look into a .260 Rem. I recently shot a 7mm-08... what a sweetheart of a caliber. It was so nice compared to the .300s up to .416s I am used to shooting. Actually, it was a big reason for me "stepping down" to a 6.5x284 for deer sized animals. The .260 will give you more reach than the 7mm because of better bc bullets. Actually, just the range you are looking for. Short action, light recoil, in a lightweight rifle....what's not to like? Writing this, I am wondering if I made the right choice!:D

FYI 7mm bullets as general rule have a much higher bc than almost anything. What you need is a 280ai or a straight 280 or maybe a .284. Should be able to kill elk as well with either of these. Also there are tikka t3 6.5x55 floating around, although few and far between that will fit your bill perfectly. I have one. All are long action with plenty of mag room. Most shoot better than most people and weigh nothing. YMMV
T

Rem 700, Ti take off stock, Leupold 3.5-10, 3-9, or 6x42 glass, 22"-24" stainless tube of your choice, chambered in 7 SAUM. That would be my way of flying, if I was building.

That being said, there should be a Kimber Montana 270 WSM at my FFL's door step tomorrow for me to fondle after I get off of work.

I understand that there are some high bc 7mm bullets. I was talking specifically about the 7mm-08, which doesn't have enough umph to take advantage of the 168 or 180 grainers.

If your 300wsm is accurate why change it?
Put a brake on it if recoil is a concern, or try a mercury recoil reducer if you dont want a brake.
With the current offerings of bullets, the 30 trumps the 7 in every single catagory Including better B.C. bullets, & when you take momentum into account it really trumps the 7. The only place a 7 wins is in the recoil department, but imo, a good muzzle brake makes that a non issue.
Now I'm perfectly aware you dont need all that energy for deer. I'm also aware that a 6.5 or a 270 or a 7 has plenty of medicine for a deer, & if you choose that route that's all well & good. but don't buy into that "7 has better B.C." b.s.
Run the numbers on JBM if you want to see them for yourself.
If you don't care for brakes, & its strictly a trade off of recoil but still wanting to keep high BC bullets your on the right track. Just don't sell your current cartrige short.

These are all great options guys. I think I've decided that I won't be canabalizing the .300wsm. I am more interested in building a fun gun to put a lot of rounds thru and be a usefull long deer gun in the back country. A 6.5 will be a great back country predator gun, especially with wolves on the menu here in the gem state. Once again I appreciate all the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.