First Deer gun in a decade.

TheSandman

Well I just bought a 264wm cm 1n8 27" LV bisongunworks barrel for my old 111 Savage 7mag. I want to salt bath nitride it. While I'm waiting I need to get dies, ammo, reloading supplies and a stock to replace the flimsy plastic stock. I was looking at Winchester m70 sporter in same caliber but they run $800. I wanted to go smaller since I'm getting tired of guns rocking my socks( been shooting 7mags since 74). Well 130,s are better than 162,s. Heavy barrel and good stock should help. I got 7 deer over last 2 years from 100 to 275yds with a 24" 243 and it did great but 90,s are Max and just don't want to go any further with it as is( maybe AI in future). Now the waiting begins.

264WIN, my favorite! Sounds like you are well on your way to a fun build! I've been using 130g Berger AR Hybrids from one of my 9 twist 264WIN rifles. I seated it 0.020" off the rifling, close to the longest I could reliably feed from the magazine, (model 70). One of the easiest bullets to find a load for that I've tried and it plain stones the whitetails.

Thanks Tr, Was hoping anyone that has experience with Bisongunworks, from La. would chime in. I will be looking for loads too. Reloading manuals are soft to say the least. I have several hodgon reloading annual manuals(magazine) and there are loads that disappear to be replaced with softer loads. Glad I kept old data.

No worries. If you need or would like anything let me know!! I don't post any exact data on the public forum, but I will share what I can from my findings over the last twenty years via a private message.
Depending on the exact dimensions of the chambering the load data varies quite a bit!! Be careful with anything you find online without knowing exactly how much freebore you have and how much the other chamber has!!!! Depending on what powder and bullet is being utilized in combination with chamber dimensions there can be ten grains difference in safe data.

Depending on the exact dimensions of the chambering the load data varies quite a bit!! Be careful with anything you find online without knowing exactly how much freebore you have and how much the other chamber has!!!! Depending on what powder and bullet is being utilized in combination with chamber dimensions there can be ten grains difference in safe data.[/QUOTE]

I strongly second this statement.
I have a 264 Win mag with a Shilen 9 twist 27 3/4" long on a Rem 700 action. I chose 130 gr Nosler Accubonds and Retumbo powder to try first. Because I also had a bunch of once fired Winchester 7mm Rem. Mag cases I just ran them through my 264 Win mag FL die and made 264 Win mag cases. I also used CCI 250 mag primers. I found that my rifle has a tight chamber and with powder charge over a grain under of book max I ran into high pressure. But with the lighter powder charges I still get the higher velocity of the heaver powder charges. With my barrel I average 3350 fps and sub MOA accuracy. This bullet has been a great one for deer. I works perfectly from 25 to a touch over 500 yards so far. Shot over 2 dozen deer with the combo and the bullet goes in expands and takes out the vitals and exits with a nickel size hole and deer are DRT. Recovered only one bullet that went full length on a buck shot at 111 yards that was almost facing me. Bullet impact was on the front edge of left scapula and bullet was found against the smashed right ball joint. It was a text book mushroom and bullet weight was 87 grs.

Thanks guys, got a message that my barrel shipped and will be here next Thursday. It appears I will have enough time to get some cold weather testing in before winter is over. I have slow powders that were used in 7mag. I'm very interested in known good deer bullet performance in 129 to 140,s . I have quite a few once fired 7mag brass too. Getting antsy.

The 264 WM is a really great caliber. It was a classic in the Win M70 Westerner of which I have had the honor of shooting.

Even though you say the M70 goes for $800, by the time you get done with your build, you will have surpassed that mark. BUT, you will have what you want.

I've had the Savage for years and I can make a stock so not much investment. Barrel was $220 tax and shipped. It's not what I wanted but will work. Wanted a 25 06AI but finances prevent that. I'm sure it will be a huge improvement.

Good for for you. You've got it figured out.

Trust me when I say you will get your 25-06 AI when the times are right. Just be patient. You will love your "new" 264.

As I mentioned the 130 Nosler Accubond has worked great for me. One thing that made me choose the Accubond from the get go is my experience with high velocity calibers used on deer and my 9" twist is the reason for the 130 gr. I helped my hunting buddy do crop damage control for 15 of the 20 years he did this. He was one that he liked to experiment and had the funds to do so. He was always getting another rifle to try. With the high velocity magnums the old cup and core bullets would work at longer ranges OK but at close range were horrible with exploding on impact issues. The old Nosler Partitions worked well at close range but were not always the most accurate or good ballistic coefficient bullets. When makers started coming out with bonded bullets like the Accubond it all started to come together. In my experience pushing the 130 AB at 3350 fps at close range like 25 yards the bullet expands but holds together and exits without blowing the whole front end off a deer. It acts the same at longer ranges out to just a touch over 500 yards so far for me.

In over 2 dozen deer shot, lost count, I have not had one do more that stager a couple steps and go down. Most drop in their tracks. First deer I shot with my 264 win mag rifle and the 130 AB was in a huge green soybean field at 518 yards.

Buck was on a hot doe's trail just after first light. He came out of the woods and into the field with a head down blood hound like trailing trot. I got on him with the scope and he stopped at about a 2/3 broadside angle with right shoulder at me. I knew from previously lasing a big tree just off the edge of the field that was 570 yards from my shooting house that the buck was just a little over 500 yards. I held for 500 yards on his front shoulder and squeezed the trigger. I heard the bullet pop almost as soon as the rifle went off and thought man that was fast. Scanned the field and it was empty and next thought was, "where exactly was that deer standing". I had to step on that deer to find it because the beans covered the field completely. The 8 pt buck dropped straight down with his legs folded up under him and never even fell on his side. He was literally dead before he hit the ground. Bullet entered the center of his front shoulder and exited with a nickel size hole in the middle of his ribcage on the offside. Upon dressing him out both lungs were liquefied and heart showed trauma from hydrostatic shock. I was able to salvage a good part of the impacted shoulder also unlike one shot with the old non-bonded cup and core type bullets. As stated above I have only recovered one bullet and under those conditions I would have to say that it don't get much better in bullet performance. Have fun, give some of the sloooooow powders like Retumbo, RLs, Ram Shot Mag a hard look. Retumbo worked for me. Don't burn out your barrel testing a bunch of faster powders like 4350,4831s, H1000 that work in 7 mag. With your long barrel the slower powders are the ticket. Be advised that most of the load data put out by the bullet makers is done up in neutered 24" barrels. It takes at least a 26" barrel to start seeing what the 264 Win Mag can do and 27 to 28" barrels really shine. Have fun.

Well I got my barrel in six days. 6 grooves. It looks very good inside. Chamber and bore look real nice BUT due to my not specifying freebore there is none. Outside is alittle ruff but it's not a problem. Crown looks great. I'm happy but now need to ream throat. I will make sure next barrel I order, my conversation with supplier will contain all my wants not leaving anything to chance.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.