Green Mountain Barrel opinions?

This is a bartlien 3 fluted at 26 inches and it is pretty light for a win mag...

Attachments

• 20141213_132514.jpg
    20141213_132514.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 82
Thanks for the input guys. Why would you go heavier than #3? Do you want to heavier contour for extra weight or is it so the barrel doesn't get hot as fast?

The factory barrel from Weatherby says it is a #2 contour that's why I was considering #3.

Thanks for the input guys. Why would you go heavier than #3? Do you want to heavier contour for extra weight or is it so the barrel doesn't get hot as fast?

The factory barrel from Weatherby says it is a #2 contour that's why I was considering #3.

For weight. Just my opinion, but I don't like having my shoulder beat to death at the range... I am not a big guy though... probably different for others...
Mike

I wont be shooting it at the range or target shooting much. Mainly a hunting setup so I want to be able to pack it around without worry.

A personal opinion that I have developed over the years is that more steel tends to yield more consistent shots and better accuracy. It just seems easier for me to tune a load for a heavier barrel than for a lighter barrel.

You guys have valid points. Is it safe to assume that a heavier contour barrel most likely will not fit in my original stock?

A personal opinion that I have developed over the years is that more steel tends to yield more consistent shots and better accuracy. It just seems easier for me to tune a load for a heavier barrel than for a lighter barrel.

This has been my experience as well... That's why if I have a choice, I will almost always opt for a heavy barreled rifle, over a sporter, unless the intended purpose is for lightweight and walking...In which case, I will take a magnum sporter contour, but it will still be 26".

Will most of the barrel makers install their barrel on my action?

Not all do; the closest to you is probably Benchmark in WA. Just talk to Chris and he'll be more than happy to guide you in the right direction. They also have an awesome muzzle brake.

Good luck!

Ed

ADDED: Sorry I'm guessing you're in OR from your screen name. :)

This has been my experience as well... That's why if I have a choice, I will almost always opt for a heavy barreled rifle, over a sporter, unless the intended purpose is for lightweight and walking...In which case, I will take a magnum sporter contour, but it will still be 26".

It sounds like I need to find a compromise between the heaviest barrel I can get while keeping in mine almost all the hunting I do is walking and hiking.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.