Green Mountain Barrel opinions?

huntoregon

I am thinking about having my Weatherby Vanguard 300wm re-barreled and the local gunsmith recommended Green Mountain to me and said he can do a stainless for a pretty reasonable price.

After doing a little research I can't seem to find much info, any opinions would be appreciated.

I have one that shoots 3/8" and had one that only shot 1 1/4-1 1/2". I've built a couple others that have shot pretty well for another guy. I would spend the additional $$ to buy a better name barrel if it was me.

+1 on spending more money. but then I suppose it depends on what you want to do. save money or have greater accuracy. If you go back to the same cartridge, then I would just save your money. if you are trying to get into wildcatting on the cheap, then go ahead.

Spend the money and cry once. If it doesn't shoot that well with the GM barrel you'll spend the money the next time anyway.

Accurate 500-600 yrd. rifles and saving money just don't seem to go hand in hand. lightbulb Think about it! The GM isn't hand lapped and by the previous posts is a crap shoot, ya' might get a good one, ya' might not. Spend the $$$ on a Hart, Bartlien or Krieger and cry once.

I never said my intent was to try and save money. I am all for doing it right once and being done with it. I am fairly new to hunting and rifles in general. Just trying to learn, I have never bought an aftermarket barrel so I don't really know what to look for or what brand to go with.

If your doing a light weight contour I'd do a cut rifled barrel. All the barrels mentioned above are cut rifled. If I was doing a heavier Sendero type contour there are several button rifled barrels that are good. Schneider, Broughton, and Benchmark would be at the top for me from personal experience.

I know that Green Mountain makes an excellent black powder round ball barrel, but don't know anything about their high power barrels. Like others suggested look into the barrels that are known for their quality like Hart, Brux, Bartlien, Krieger, etc.

Will most of the barrel makers install their barrel on my action?

I don't know for sure. I know my Hart was put on by Jim Hart but I had to wait 10 months. Most guys buy a barrel and have a competent smith cut it and install. there are lots of really good guys here on this forum that can do the work for you and you can trust them. Good Luck.

Ok so after talking to some people and doing some more reading I am leaning towards a Bartlien barrel. I talked to Bartlien and they said they could install their barrel on my action. My next questions are what length, contour, and twist?

It will be in 300 win mag. I don't reload so I will be shooting factory ammo 180gr bullets for deer and elk.

I was thinking a 24" in a #3 contour with 1-10 twist

Anybody that is willing to give me any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.