6-6.5x47 Lapua in LA?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Greywolf18, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Greywolf18

Greywolf18 Well-Known Member

Is it possible to make a 6-6.5x47 Lapua (also seen it call a 6X47 Lapua) in a LA (specifically an old 30-06)? I am sure it is possible, but would it be better and cheaper to buy a donor SA and build it off of that? Would there be any problems in using the LA? Thanks for the help.

2. NZP

NZP Well-Known Member

One of the only problems could be is feeding. might notwork so well because the case is so short.

there is heaps of room on a rem700SA! even with 115grs seated wayyyy out

3. Tyler Kemp

Tyler Kemp SPONSOR

The only foreseeable problem is possibly feeding, but on the upside you can seat bullets out however you want!

4. RMulhern

RMulhern Well-Known Member

Don't believe there would be a problem! All need be done is put a 'block' in the magazine well....and if you wanted a DBM....that could be worked up also!!

5. NesikaChad

NesikaChad Well-Known Member

I built an NRA course rifle in 6x47 Swiss Match back in 01/02 on a m70 P64. The only issue I had was feeding as the case lacks the taper common to most cartridges. Took a little fussing with feed lips and follower but it eventually worked just fine.

The cases are very similar (identical almost) so I don't think you'll have too much trouble.

Good luck.